Could you please give information about the wisdom and benefits of reciting/reading Ayat al-Kursi?
Submitted by on Mon, 05/04/2010 - 12:17
Dear Brother / Sister,
As it is narrated from Muhammad b. Isa, Ibnu’l-Asqa said:
A man came to Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings upon him, and asked what the most virtuous verse in the Qur’an was. The Prophet said: “Lailaha illa huwa'l-Hayyu'l-Qayyum…” (Muslim, Musafirin, 258; Abu Davud, al-Huruf wa'l-Qiraa, 35; Ibn Hanbal, V, 142). In another hadith, he said: “The most virtuous verse of the Qur’an is Ayat al-Kursi in Surah al-Baqara. When this verse is recited/read in a house, the Devil goes away from there.” (Tirmidhi, Fadailu'l-Qur'an, 2)
Once, Allah’s Messenger asked Ubay bin Ka’b what the more elevated one was among the verses he memorized, and when Ubay replied: “Allah and His Messenger know better.” Then the Prophet repeated the question, upon which Ubay said that the most exalted verse he knew was "Allahu la ilaha illa Huwa, Al-Hayyul-Qayyum". Allah’s Messenger was pleased with the answer he received and patting Ubay’s chest, he said: “O Abu Munzir! May wisdom be exalted to you!” (Abu Davud, Witr,17). Moreover, The Prophet said: “Ayat al-Kursi is the sultan of the verses of the Qur’an.” (Tirmidhi, Fadailu'l-Qur'an, 2)
In this verse, information is given about the sublimity of Allah, His attributes, about the fact that every event taking place in the universe happens completely in accordance with His will, that without His will and leave no one can intercede for anyone, about His Supreme Throne, and that whatever is in the heavens and the earth belongs to Him. Its translation is as follows:
“God, there is no deity but He; the All-Living, the Self-Subsisting (by Whom all subsist). Slumber does not seize Him, nor sleep. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is on the earth. Who is there that will intercede with Him save by His leave? He knows what lies before them and what lies after them (what lies in their future and in their past, what is known to them and what is hidden from them); and they do not comprehend anything of His Knowledge save what He wills. His Seat (of dominion) embraces the heavens and the earth, and the preserving of them does not weary Him; He is the All-Exalted, the Supreme.”
Some hadiths (sayings of the Prophet) about reading/reciting Ayat al-Kursi:
“Gabriel (Archangel) came to me. He said: “An ifrit (a bad individual) from the Jinn wants to ambush you. Recite Ayat al-Kursi when you enter your bed. In other words, before you go to bed, recite Ayat al-Kursi.”
“Whoever recites/reads Ayat al-Kursi after each obligatory prayer, s/he becomes protected until the next prayer.” Because of this, after each obligatory prayer, Ayat al-Kursi is recited.
“Whoever recites Ayat al-Kursi and the two verses before the surah of “Ha-Mim tanzilul kitabi minallahil azizil alim” when s/he goes out in the morning, s/he becomes protected that day until the evening (from troubles and accidents). And whoever recites them in the evening, s/he becomes protected that night until s/he reaches the morning.”
“The Devil does not get closer to the one who recites Ayat al-Kursi when s/he goes to sleep.” (See Kütüb-i Sitte Tercüme ve Şerhi, Prof. Dr. İbrahim Canan )
Questions on Islam
- According to a hadith narration, Satan states that it is enough to read ayah al-kursi in order to be protected from the evil of Satan from the night until the morning. Can what Satan said be true?
- Can women read the Quran while they are menstruating?
- Is there a prayer to be read for the disease of epilepsy?
- Ninth Principle: The explanation of matters that are regarded as exaggeration concerning riwayahs about the insignificance of the world and the reward for actions and merits of some of the chapters of the Qur'an.
- Does evil-eye kill a person? What kind of precautions can be taken against evil-eye? What are the reasons of evil-eye? Is it permissible to wear an evil-eye bead?
- Does reading the chapter of al-Ikhlas gain man the reward of a khatm al-Quran?
- What are children's rights over their parents?
- What needs to be done before traveling in Islam? Is it a sunnah to choose one of the travelers as the head before setting off?
- How the Qur'an was collected into "Mushaf" (Volume of collected sheets)?