Can a woman who is breastfeeding perform fasting? Can fasting cause her milk to dry up? Can her fasting harm the baby?
Submitted by on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 12:04
Dear Brother / Sister,
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding:
In Durru'l-Mukhtar, the following is written:
“A pregnant woman who is afraid that her life or her child’s life will be endangered, or according to zahiru'r riwaya, a breastfeeding woman whether she is the mother or wet nurse does not have to fast." (Ibn Abidin, IV, 338).
What is essential here is that, whether pregnant or breastfeeding, the danger of destroying their bodies or their children. As a matter of fact, the following is stated in Fatawa al-Hindiyya:
"If pregnant or breastfeeding women are afraid that they or their children can be destroyed they do not have to fast or they can break their fast. Kaffarah (fasting for 60 days as a punishment of breaking fast intentionally) is not necessary; they can fast later one day for each day” (ibid, I, 207).
Questions on Islam
- Is it a sin not to perform fasting in the month of Ramadan without any excuse? Will it be a sin if i skip Ramadan fasting without any excuse with the intention of fasting in winter? Will fasting performed in winter replace the fasting skipped in Ramadan?
- Will you give information about the fasting of a woman who is breastfeeding or pregnant?
- Is it permissible for a pregnant and breast-feeding woman not to fast?
- What is Sadaqah al-Fitr (Fitrah)?
- Does a woman who is breastfeeding or pregnant have to perform fasting in Ramadan?
- Is it permissible for a person who does hard manual labor not to perform fasting? What are the excuses that makes it permissible for a person not to fast?
- Does a woman who cannot fast in pregnancy perform fasting later or pay fidyah?
- Should those who have difficulty in performing fasting due to their conditions perform fasting later or pay fidya?
- Does a mother who breastfeeds her child have to perform fasting?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting