Is it permissible for a pregnant and breast-feeding woman not to fast?
Is a woman mix feeding( breast feed and formula) a 6 months old baby exempted from fasting in the month of Ramadan?
Submitted by on Sat, 22/08/2009 - 19:00
Dear Brother / Sister,
Enes Ibn Malik (R.A.) quotes the Prophet as saying: “Undoubtedly Allah has relieved the travelers of fasting and half of the prayer, and the pregnant and the breast-feeding women of the fast." (Abu Dawud, Sawm: 44, Tirmidhi, Sawm: 21; Ibn Majah Sıyam: 12)
If pregnant women and breast-feeding mothers cannot endure fasting, they don’t have to fast in the month of Ramadan. They can perform their missed fast(s) without any necessary order at a reasonable time after Ramadan.
Questions on Islam
- Should those who have difficulty in performing fasting due to their conditions perform fasting later or pay fidya?
- Is it permissible to perform the fasting of Shawwal and the fasting of Qada together?
- In some hadiths, the following is stated: "When the month of Ramadan comes, the rebellious devils (marada ash-shayatin) are chained." What does marada ash-shayatin mean? What are the manifestations of devils' being chained?
- What to do on the Night of Power (Laylatul-Qadr)?
- Sometimes in some countries, people start fasting earlier saying that the new moon has been seen. What is the criterion of seeing the new moon? How should the believers act regarding the issue?
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?
- When we need to travel in Ramadan, should we break our fast (before due time) or should we continue?
- Ramadan, the month in which Paradise is decorated
- What is perfect fast like? How should a fasting person behave?
- Farewell Ramadan, Welcome Eid (Festival)