Does a woman who cannot fast in pregnancy perform fasting later or pay fidyah?
I cannot decide whether to fast or not in Ramadan because I am pregnant. My doctor says, "Pregnant women should not fast." I fear that I will not be able to perform fasting later. Is it all right if I give some money to the poor for each day I do not fast in Ramadan and try to fast later?
Submitted by on Fri, 26/05/2017 - 16:09
Dear Brother / Sister,
You need to have the intention to perform the fasting that you miss when you are pregnant. You need to perform fasting for the days that you miss afterwards when you can.
A person who has the power to perform fasting cannot be freed of the responsibility of fasting by paying fidyah. You canbe freed of the responsibility of fasting only by performing fasting later. If you cannot fast for the days that you have missed due to legitimate excuses, you will not be held responsible. For instance, a woman who has the intention of fasting for the days she has missed due to pregnancy dies before she performs them, she will not be held responsible.
for more information, please click on the link given below;
Questions on Islam
- Can ransom (fidyah) for fasting be given to a charity organization?
- Is it a sin not to perform fasting in the month of Ramadan without any excuse? Will it be a sin if i skip Ramadan fasting without any excuse with the intention of fasting in winter? Will fasting performed in winter replace the fasting skipped in Ramadan?
- Is it permissible for a person who does hard manual labor not to perform fasting? What are the excuses that makes it permissible for a person not to fast?
- Will you give information about the qada of skipped fasting and giving fidyah for skipped fasting?
- In which situations is a person permitted not to fast?
- Should those who have difficulty in performing fasting due to their conditions perform fasting later or pay fidya?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Does a woman who is breastfeeding or pregnant have to perform fasting in Ramadan?
- Will you give information about the fasting of a woman who is breastfeeding or pregnant?
- Is it permissible for a pregnant and breast-feeding woman not to fast?