“There are people who fast and get nothing from their fast except hunger, and there are those who pray and get nothing from their prayer but a sleepless night.” How should we understand this hadith?
Submitted by on Mon, 18/02/2019 - 14:41
Dear Brother / Sister,
The hadith above was reported by Ibn Majah (Siyam, 21). Its meaning is as follows: If a person cannot avoid committing sins, which is the real purpose of fasting, when he fasts, it means he does not benefit from fasting as it is necessary. It does not mean such fasting is of no use.
Another narration regarding the issue is as follows:
“Whoever does not give up evil and ignorant speech, and acting in accordance with that, Allah has no need of his giving up his food and drink.” (ibid)
What is meant by ignorance is not to know about Allah’s orders and prohibitions and high ethics as it is necessary and hence to do bad deeds that Islam does not accept.
If a person who fasts protects his stomach from halal (legitimate) things but does not protect his tongue, eyes, ears, hands, feet, heart and mind, even his imagination, from haram (illegitimate) things, it means he has not fulfilled fasting properly.
This hadith shows how important the consciousness of worshipping and belief is. From this point of view, a Muslim should try to worship with his body and spirit.
The hadith above and similar ones do not want people to abandon worship but to fulfil deeds of worship more carefully and more consciously.
Questions on Islam
- "Doubtlessly, by his good character, a believer will attain the degree of the one who prays during the night and fasts during the day." How should we understand this hadith?
- What is fasting? What is the Religious Decree of Fasting?
- Will the worship performed at the end of time be rewarded by Allah differently?
- THE MONTH OF RAMADAN, THE SEASON OF THE HEREAFTER
- What is perfect fast like? How should a fasting person behave?
- When we need to travel in Ramadan, should we break our fast (before due time) or should we continue?
- What are the hadiths of the Prophet about commerce and commercial ethics?
- What is Sharia, how is Sharia lived, is Sharia valid in this century?
- What is the Sunnah? Could you explain the importance of Sunnah in Islam?
- How should the attitude of the believers be against the oppression in the world?