How is the Quranic perspective towards the people of the Book (Jews and Christians)?
The religion of Islam does not consider polytheists (those associating partners to Allah) and the people of the Book, namely Christians and Jews, as the same. In the Surah of Al-Maidah, Allah (SWT) announces, The food of the People of the Book is lawful unto you and yours is lawful unto them (Al-Maidah Surah, 3:5). There can be economical and commercial ties with them. The following part of the verse reads that Muslim men can marry chaste women from the people of the Book. Yet a Muslim is not allowed to marry an idolater.
We deem it useful to show these Quranic verses about the people of the Book:
Say: "O People of the Book! Come to common terms as between us and you: that we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with Him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords, and patrons other than Allah." (Al-i-Imran Surah, 3:64)
And dispute ye not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and injury); but say, "We believe in the Revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; our God and your God is One; and it is to Him we bow (in Islam)." (Al-Ankabut Surah, 29:46)
Strongest among men in enmity to the Believers wilt thou find the Jews and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the Believers wilt thou find those who say, "We are Christians" (Al-Maidah Surah, 5:82)
- Why Rob Chose Islam?
- Are all of the Companions (Sahaba) people of Paradise? If they are all people of Paradise, is there any information in the Quran about the issue?
- Is there any dust or fog in Heaven?
- Is there a prayer that can ensure that a person will become a Muslim?
- Is there a kind of fasting like the fasting of the Prophet, the fasting of water and the fasting of hunger?
- Is sexual intercourse in Paradise not a bit strange?
- Is Jumuah Salah (Friday prayer) not fard for women according to four madhhabs?
- Is our prophet Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) an Arab? What nationality is he?