Will you give information about Fasting in the month of Shawwal?
Submitted by on Fri, 14/09/2018 - 15:18
Dear Brother / Sister,
Fasting in the month of Shawwal:
It is sunnah to perform fasting for six days in the month of Shawwal that comes after the month of Ramadan.
It is haram to perform fasting on the first day of the month of Shawwal, which is the first day of eid al-fitr. One can perform qada (missed) fasting or nafilah fasting on the other days of eid and in the month of Shawwal. Performing fasting for six days in the month of Shawwal, which is like the complement to Ramadan, which is the month of fasting, will make a Muslim gain the thawab of fasting for the whole year. These six days do not have to be in a row; the fasting can be performed intermittently.
The scholars explain how one can get the thawab of fasting of a whole year by performing fasting six days in the month of Shawwal:
When the hadith about the fact that a person who does one good deed is given ten thawabs in our religion is taken into consideration, a Muslim performs thirty-six days of fasting when he performs fasting six days in the month of Shawwal after performing fasting thirty days in Ramadan. When this number, thirty-six, is multiplied by ten thawabs mentioned in the hadith, the product is 360. Thus, a person is regarded as if he performed fasting during the whole year based on the lunar calendar.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to perform the fasting of Shawwal and the fasting of Qada together?
- Will you give information about fasting in order to welcome Ramadan or to bid farewell to Ramadan, and the number of days in the month of Ramadan?
- Is it makruh to fast one day before Ramadan?
- After the Three Months and the Fast of Shawwal
- After the three months and the fast of Shawwal
- Nafila (supererogatory) Fasting
- How many days does Ramadan fasting last? Why does the number of days in Ramadan change as twenty-nine and thirty?
- Will you write the verses of the Quran and Hadiths about Ramadan and Fasting?