Will you explain the hadith “He who misses friday prayer without any excuse should give one dinar as sadaqah”? Will it be enough for a person who skips friday prayer to give a little amount of money as sadaqah?
Submitted by on Fri, 02/07/2021 - 12:17
Dear Brother / Sister,
One of the narrations mentioned in the question is as follows:
“He who misses Friday prayer without any excuse should give one dinar as sadaqah or, if he cannot afford it, half a dinar.” (Abu Dawud, Salah, 211; Nasai, al-Jumua, 3)
Scholars state that the sadaqah mentioned in the hadith is not wajib, but mustahab because, such a sin can be eliminated only by repentance. (Hashiyatus-Sindi, the interpretation of the hadith in question).
Accordingly, we can understand the following from the hadith: A person who misses three Friday prayers without an excuse must do two things. One is to repent, which is the main element of eliminating sins, and to perform the noon prayer of that day instead of the Friday prayer; and the other is to give some alms as an ancillary therapy to make sure that the sin that has been committed is eliminated sooner.
However, it is useful to pay attention to the following hadith included in all Kutub as- Sitta books except Bukhari:
“If a person misses three Friday prayers - due to disdaining it - , Allah will seal his heart.” (see Naylul-Awtar, 3/215)
Allah Almighty states the following in the Quran:
"O ye who believe! When the call is proclaimed to prayer on Friday (the Day of Assembly), hasten earnestly to the Remembrance of Allah, and leave off business (and traffic): That is best for you if ye but knew! And when the Prayer is finished, then may ye disperse through the land, and seek of the Bounty of Allah. and celebrate the Praises of Allah often (and without stint): that ye may prosper." (Cuma, 62/9-10)
Friday prayer is performed on Friday at the time of the noon prayer. The fard of two rak’ahs is performed after the sermon. Four rak’ahs of sunnah are performed before the sermon and also after the fard. The Muslims can do business on Friday outside of the prayer. They do not have to abandon working on Friday, unlike Jews on Saturday and Christians on Sunday.
Questions on Islam
- Why do we need to read Subhanaka supplication when we stand up for the third rak’ah after the first sitting when we perform the sunnah prayers of the afternoon (asr) and night (isha) prayers?
- What are the hadiths related to sunnah/nafilah prayers and their virtues?
- How many rak’ahs does Friday prayer consist of? Is it necessary to perform the Prayer of Zuhr al-Akhir after the last Sunnah of the Friday prayer?
- Is it permissible to perform only the fards of the daily prayers and to abandon the sunnahs?
- How and when is the noon prayer performed on Friday?
- Can the noon prayer be performed five minutes before the time period for the afternoon prayer starts?
- How is Tarawih Prayer Performed?
- Friday Prayer
- What is the decree about missed (qada) prayers? When and how are they performed? How should one say niyyah (intention) for them?
- When and how are the missed (qada) prayers performed? Are the sunnah prayers performed as well?