Will snakes fill the stomachs of those who consume riba (usury/interest)?
They say there is a hadith stating that snakes will fill the stomachs of those who consume riba (usury/interest). Is there a hadith like that? If yes, what is its resource?
Submitted by on Tue, 15/01/2019 - 08:17
Dear Brother / Sister,
A hadith regarding the issue is as follows:
أَتَيْتُ لَيْلَةَ أُسْرِيَ بِي عَلَى قَوْمٍ بُطُونُهُمْ كَالْبُيُوتِ، فِيهَا الْحَيَّاتُ تُرَى مِنْ خَارِجِ بُطُونِهِمْ، فَقُلْتُ: مَنْ هَؤُلَاءِ يَا جِبْرِيلُ؟ قَالَ: هَؤُلَاءِ أَكَلَةُ الرِّبَا
On the night in which I was taken on the Night Journey (al-Isra), I came to people whose stomachs were like houses, in which there were snakes that could be seen from outside their stomachs. I said: 'Who are these, O Jibril?’ He said: 'They are the ones who consumed usury (interest). (Ibn Majah, Tijarat 58; Musnad, 2/353, 363)
This hadith is an exemplary lesson for those who consume riba (usury/interest).
Hereby, we will address the believing brothers who continue consuming interest without repenting by advising them to call themselves to account:
O brother who consumes interest! Is it worth?
Is it reasonable to show consent to such a big penalty in the hereafter for a small and ephemeral interest in the world?
If you do not give up consuming interest, you will be resurrected like that on the Day of Judgment. You will have a stomach as big as a house. Snakes will move in it. Will you be able to put up with it? Definitely not.
Then, come and repent of this sin since there is still time for it.
Questions on Islam
- Those who touch the dust of usury
- People whose bellies are like houses and full of snakes
- Which type of Riba is Al-riba?
- Those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger
- The verses about usury (interest)
- We know that interest was forbidden by stages just like alcohol. Could you explain those stages?
- Those who wait in the river of blood
- A Sin that Destroys People
- What are the hadiths of the Prophet about commerce and commercial ethics?
- Why is Interest Forbidden?