Why do we worship hajrul aswad?
Submitted by on Fri, 27/03/2009 - 09:41
Dear Brother / Sister,
People do not worship at Hajar Al-Aswad because, it has no feature to be worshipped at. That blessed stone, which is called as Hajar Al-Aswad (The Black Stone) because of its black color, takes place on the east edge of Ka’aba and was located in a place one and a half meters high from the ground and near the gate of the Ka’aba.. It consists of three big and a few small pieces. It is surrounded by a silver ring. Another name of it is Ruh Al-Aswad.
That blessed stone is a heavenly stone and has been delivered to Prophet Abraham (peace be upon him) by Gabriel. It had been kept on Abu Qubays Mount before it was placed on the Ka’aba’s wall. According to a relation, Hajar al-Aswad is the stone that the Prophet’s, the chief of the universe’s expression “I still know and recognize the stone that had greeted me in Makkah before I was sent as a prophet” points out.
The scholars have the opinion that kissing that stone is approvable. (cf. Zuhayli, al- Fiqh al Islami, 3/151)
In a famous relation, Hazrat Umar kissed Hajar al-Aswad and said: “I swear by Allah, I know you are a stone. I would not have kissed you, if I had not seen the Prophet had kissed you.” (Refer to Nawawi, Majmu, 8/29).
Then, kissing Hajar al-Aswad is sunnah (an act of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)). However, if the place is overcrowded and if it will be a torment for people, one should content oneself with greeting from a distance and should not give torment to people. Because, kissing Hajar al-Aswad is sunnah, but giving torment to people is haram.
It is not harmful in point of health. Otherwise, similar things can also be told for mosques. It is essential to rely on Allah in such cases.
Questions on Islam
- Will you give information about Rukn al-Yamani corner of the Kaaba?
- Can you give information about the Kaaba?
- What is the Hajaru-l-Aswad’s property? What is its historical background?
- When and how was the Kaaba rebuilt and repaired? How did the Prophet (pbuh) settle the disagreement about placing Hajar al-Aswad into its place?
- What kind of tortures and slanders were inflicted upon the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) by Qurayshi polytheists after he declared his prophethood openly and called people to accept Islam on Safa Hill?
- Anarchy and Youth
- Why do we turn to the Ka’aba, that is, Masjid al-haram in prayers?
- Is circumambulating the Kaaba better than a nafilah prayer? Is it regarded worshipping to watch the Kaaba?
- Prophet Ibrahim [Abraham] (Peace be upon him)