Why do tafsir scholars see the information and data about science and technology in the Quran only after they are discovered?
Submitted by on Wed, 06/04/2016 - 01:13
Dear Brother / Sister,
The understanding and knowledge of each century is different. If the scientific realities mentioned in the Quran had been explained as they were in the previous centuries, some people who did not understand them would have denied them.
The Quran is primarily a book of guidance, not a book of science. It only points to scientific realities. Therefore, these issues were expressed in a metaphorical way in both verses and hadiths. As science developed, scientists found some meanings that opened up their horizons and some signs leading them to some inventions and scientific realities.
However, not all tafsir scholars are authorities in non-religious subjects; they generally spend their time studying and explaining the Quran; that is why, this duty usually belonged to the other scholars and scientists. Many scientists and scholars - whether they were Muslims or not - benefited from the Quran and based their discoveries and inventions on the Quran.
Benefiting from verses and hadiths by Islamic science contributed a lot to guide European science.
Questions on Islam
- Is there a contradiction between the religion and the mind?
- INTRODUCTION / EPISTEMOLOGY OF BELIEF
- Are scientific discoveries mentioned in the Quran?
- SCIENCE, RELIGION AND BELIEF SYSTEMS
- Question 57: Is it appropriate to mention religion in scientific studies? Science is based on experiment and religion is based on belief. Therefore, science and religion always contradict.
- If one day the creation of universe is explained within physical laws and all questions are answered, do we not need to become atheists? If we need to deny the creator in such a situation, why should we not need to deny the creator?
- What are the principles of the education system in the Islamic civilization?
- SCIENCE AND EVOLUTION THAT ARE IMPOSED ON THE COMMUNITY AS IDEOLOGY
- Is studying at a university regarded as tahsil al-ilm (acquisition of knowledge/science)?
- A Significant Point and Important Mystery: The relation between the branches of science and Divine names.