When was Hz. Khidr born? Did he meet the Prophet (pbuh)?
Submitted by on Thu, 30/04/2015 - 15:42
Dear Brother / Sister,
There is no definite information about when Hz. Khidr was born.
Scholars have different views about the person who is referred to as «one of Our servants» in the Quran and who met Hz Musa. It is disputable whether he is a prophet, messenger or saint. It is also disputable when he lived and whether he is alive or dead now.
As for his name, scholars say, «His name is Khidr». Some say his name is «Balya bin Malkan»; others say, his name is «Alyasa», «Ilyas» and «an angel».
There are also different views about who his father is. Some say, «He is Adam's son»;others say, he is, «Pharaoh's son»; some others say «He is the son of al-Is»;yet others say, «He is Kalya's son». However, according to the majority of the scholars, his name is Balya bin Malkan and Khidr is his nickname.
He is a nabi; some scholars say he is a rasul while others say he is a saint; the majority supports this view. (Ali Arslan, Büyük Kur’an Tefsiri, Arslan Yayınları: 10/526-528) The narrations stating that Hz. Khidr met and talked to the Prophet (pbuh) and that some Companions saw him, and some of the references written by Islamic scholars stating that he is still alive are as follows:
al-lsaba - Ibn Hajar 1/429-452; Sahih Muslim 4/1847 ve 2050; Sharh-us Sunnah - Baghawi 15/280; Jam'-ul Fawaid 1/43; Musnad-ul Firdaws 1/345 and 427, 5/504; Jam'-ul Jawami' - Suyuti hadith no: 4118 and 70707; Kanz-ul Ummal hadith no: 34409; Mawarid-uz Zam'an - Ibn Hibban hadith no: 2092; Tirmidhi hadith no: 30151; Zuhar-ul Firdaws - Ibn Hajar 4/401; Ihya-u Ulum-id Din 1/336; al-Fath-ul Kabir 1/439; Sharh-i Muslim - Nawawi 8/234; Ramuz-ul Ahadith p: 198; Nur-ul Absar p: 157, 258 and 270; al-Musannaf - San'ani 2/393; al-Fath-ur Rabbani - Ghaylani p: 240 …
Questions on Islam
- Is Hz. Khidr alive? According to the following verse, it is impossible for Hz. Khidr to be alive: "We granted not to any man before thee permanent life (here)" (al-Anbiya, 21/34)
- Does Allah inform anybody whom He wishes about ghayb (unknown/unseen)?
- Will you give information about the pedigrees of prophets and their order of coming?
- Prophet Khidr (Peace be upon him)
- What does firdaws mean? How is it mentioned in the verses of the Quran and hadiths?
- Prophet Ilyas [Elijah] (Peace be upon him)
- Is Hazrat Khidr alive?
- Is it true that the Prophet was transferred into His mother’s womb on the night of Raghaib?
- Could you give information about the levels of heaven?
- If the Killer had not Killed, would the Killed have Died?