What is the wisdom behind feeling pain when we cut or hit ourselves or when we have a headache? Why did God give us this feeling of pain?
Submitted by on Tue, 13/07/2010 - 19:04
Dear Brother / Sister,
Surely, there is a lot of wisdom behind this and we can consider some of it as follows :
Human body is the most precious being in the universe. Pains are signals which inform us about the events against the body. The intensity of these signals are related to the significance given to our bodies.
This marvelous masterpiece is entrusted to us. A majority of illnesses and accidents are caused by humans’ misuse. In order to make people to keep their bodies that are entrusted to them safer, God gives them pain when the body is injured so that they will be more careful.
Feeling of pain is more in humans - compared to other living creatures. It is even said that the feeling of pain by an animal which is being slaughtered is slight and it diminishes after a short while. This is because pain is a universal biological law and it is within a general frame of the divine principle called sunnatullah. This shows that pain in humans means more than a biological law. And that is the level of value of humans who are subject to trial. Feeling of pain on the one hand tests humans’ patience and on the other hand it takes their pulse of surrendering and on another hand, it earns thawab to those who feel pain.
Furthermore, biological pain, sorrow, psychological depression, and distress in worldly life are some kind of signals which inform people of the pain in the prison of Hell. Comparing things they see to which they do not see, humans begin to perceive and comprehend things they do not see as if they can see them. From this point of view, it is understood that in the grave and in the hereafter, so to speak, it is enough for one as punishment – God forbid – that one single tooth aches this much. So, these pains allow us to be careful regarding the issue.
On the other hand, situations like this which remind us of how important health is are significant warnings which remind us that we should care for our bodily and spiritual health in order to attain the prosperity of both worlds.
Questions on Islam
- Is it not contrary to compassion and humanity to eat an animal that dies by feeling pain?
- Some people suffer troubles and misfortunes in this world while others do not. Are those who are not hit by misfortunes very lucky?
- Do you know the 18 benefits of wudu proved by medicine?
- Why does Allah not prevent extreme evil deeds, wars, drought, etc if He is Rahim (the Merciful) and Rahman (the Compassionate)?
- Prophet Isa [Jesus] (Peace be upon him)
- What are the Stages of Life in the Hereafter?
- Fasting is a complete golden recipe for the fitness and health of the body
- why muslims don't eat bacon?