What should we do if we cannot leave a place where people talk about others behind their backs and we have to listen to them?
Submitted by on Tue, 22/03/2016 - 00:07
Dear Brother / Sister,
When you see that you cannot prevent people from backbiting, read the following prayer and leave that place if it is possible:
"Allahummaghfirli wa liman ightabnahu"
"O Allah! Forgive us and the person we backbit.”(Suyuti, al-Fathu’l-Kabir, I/87)
If you cannot leave that place, you will not be held responsible for the statements including backbiting that you hear involuntarily.
Questions on Islam
- Could you give information about backbiting?
- What are the types of backbiting? Why and to what extent is backbiting bad?
- What is Backbiting? Is it allowable for some certain cases?
- What is the decree on ghiybah (backbiting)? Is it appropriate to continue backbiting thinking that one asks for forgiving from others? How will one be forgiven by others in the hereafter?
- Is it haram to talk behind a non-muslim's back (to backbite)?
- Is it permissible to backbite non-muslims?
- Is it permissible to talk behind an unbeliever’s back (to backbite him)?
- How should one answer a person who hurts his feelings among other people and who demoralizes him?
- Is it necessary to ask for forgiveness if the person we have backbitten has not heard of it?
- What is the sin of listening behind the door? What are the verses related to this issue?