Is it permissible to backbite non-muslims?
Is it permissible to backbite non-muslims? Is it permissible to talk behind an unbeliever’s back (to backbite him)?
Submitted by on Wed, 23/08/2017 - 10:59
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is definitely haram to talk behind a Muslim’s back. However, as for a non-Muslim, it is divided into two:
1. A non-Muslim who is in a state of war with Muslims.
2. A non-Muslim who is in a state of peace with Muslims. (Like the Christians and Jews of today.)
It is not haram to backbite non-Muslims who are in a state of war with Muslims. It is necessary to speak ill of them so that the state of the war will be favorable for us. There is no sin in doing it.
However, the state of the non-Muslims who are in a state of peace with Muslims is not the same. It can be permissible to backbite them (only by separating a person and his attributes). It is permissible to backbite such a person not as a perfect being that Allah created but the unbelief added to that perfect being by that person in a sense that will alienate people from unbelief.
It means it is permissible to backbite the attributes of a person, not the person himself. We learn from the fatwas of Ghazali that the aim is not to backbite people but to state the evil of the wrong things in their faith and life, and hence it is permissible.
As for the minorities living among Muslims, they are under the guarantee of Islam like Muslims in all aspects. Islam does not regard it permissible to backbite these people, whom it has taken under its protection; Islam does not allow its guarantee to be violated. It is necessary for Muslims to be careful about these issues.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to talk behind an unbeliever’s back (to backbite him)?
- Is it haram to talk behind a non-muslim's back (to backbite)?
- Can fitrah and zakah be given to non-Muslims?
- What are the criteria for social intercourse with non-Muslims? Is it permissible to be business partners with them?
- How should our relations with non-Muslims be?
- Is it permissible to get a loan from a non-Islamic country and escape without repaying it?
- Can Islam and disbelievers exist (live) together? I am a disbeliever and your answer to this question will determine whether I will trust Muslims or not.
- Is it haram to receive and give interest in dar al-harb? Is interest permissible in non-Muslim countries?
- Are violation of personal rights in question between Muslims and non-Muslims living in Europe / foreign countries?
- How can we answer the criticisms by non-Muslims related to the concepts of jihad (holy war) and fath (conquering)?