Is it necessary to ask for forgiveness if the person we have backbitten has not heard of it?
Can you explain these hadiths? Is it necessary to ask for forgiveness if the person we have backbitten has not heard of it?
If the person who was backbitten heard about it, the backbiter cannot be forgiven only by repentance. It is also necessary to ask for forgiveness from him. A hadith regarding the issue is as follows:
“Unless the person who was backbitten forgives the person who backbit, the backbiter will not be forgiven.” [Daylami]
If the person who was backbitten does not know about it, the backbiter will be forgiven by repenting and praying for him. He/she should make a dua as follows: “O Allah! Forgive me and the person whom I backbit!”
Two hadiths regarding the issue are as follows:
“The atonement of backbiting is praying for the forgiveness of the person who was backbitten.” [Ibn al-Lal]
“If the backbiter asks for forgiveness from Allah for the person whom he backbit, it will be atonement for the sin of backbiting.” [Khatib]
Submitted by on Tue, 05/01/2021 - 11:11
Dear Brother / Sister,
Backbiting is haram.
If the backbitten person heard about it and became aware of it, it is not enough for the backbiter to repent only and make dua for the person whom he backbit. He needs to ask for forgiveness from the person whom he backbit unless a bigger problem is certain to occur.
Backbiting is oppression. According to the hadiths, as a rule, the rights will be taken away from the oppressor and given to oppressed person in the hereafter unless the oppressor prevails the oppressed person on to forgive him in the world.
If the person who was backbitten is not aware of it, according to the most of the scholars, it is not necessary to inform him because there may be inconveniences, deterioration in relations between believers and committing other sins in general. The backbiter needs to make dua for the person whom he backbit, talk about his high ethics and good deeds in his absence, and help him in his work if possible.
Questions on Islam
- What are the types of backbiting? Why and to what extent is backbiting bad?
- What is Backbiting? Is it allowable for some certain cases?
- Is it permissible to talk behind an unbeliever’s back (to backbite him)?
- Could you give information about backbiting?
- Is a person who committed a lot of sins and fornication and then repented, asked for forgiveness and found the right path forgiven?
- What is the decree on ghiybah (backbiting)? Is it appropriate to continue backbiting thinking that one asks for forgiving from others? How will one be forgiven by others in the hereafter?
- My Petition: Shiver and Regret in My Consciousness is Repentance
- What is the penalty for oppressing with the tongue?
- Will you explain the hadith that mentions the repentance of a man who killed ninety-nine people?
- What are the states of being damned/cursed by Allah, His Prophet or His angels?