What should a person do if he sits down in the third rak’ah of a four rak’ah prayer by mistake?
I sat down in the third rak’ah of prayer by mistake and I remembered my mistake while reciting the prayer of Rabbana; What should I do in such a situation? I performed sajdah as-sahw and recited the same duas after saluting to the right and finished reciting the prayer of Rabbana and finished the prayer, is my prayer valid or should I perform it again? If I should repeat it, should I need to perform its sunnah as well?
Submitted by on Wed, 21/08/2019 - 10:27
Dear Brother / Sister,
When a person sits down for tashahhud in the third rak’a of a prayer of a four-rak’ah prayer by mistake, he stands up and continues his prayer when he realizes this, completes his rak’ahs and performs sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) at the end of the prayer because the qiyam, (the Standing Position in the Salat) which is one of the fards of prayer, is postponed.
Postponing a fard of prayer, not performing one of the wajibs by forgetting or postponing them or performing beforehand necessitate sajdah as-sahw.
It is necessary for you to perform that four rak’ah prayer again since there is a missing rak’ah in your prayer.
Questions on Islam
- How is a prostration (sajdah) that is skipped in a prayer performed; does sajdah as-sahw become necessary?
- What are the situations that necessitate sajdah as-sahw? Is it necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw in sunnah prayers?
- Sajdah as-Sahw
- Does forgetting to recite Qunut supplications in the witr prayer necessitate sajdah as-sahw?
- What should a person who does not sit after the third rak'ah of the evening prayer and stands up for the fourth rak'ah do?
- If I make a mistake while performing a prayer and read something wrong or sit after the third rak'ah instead of the fourth one and read at-Tahiyyat, what should I do?
- Wajibs of prayer
- Is it permissible to recite additional duas (prayers) from the verses of the Quran and hadiths in the last sitting of prayer after reciting the usual duas?
- Is sajdah as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) necessary if someone reads surah of al-Fatiha instead of at-Tahiyyat by mistake in the first or last sitting of prayer?
- When is Sajdah as-Sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) required? Where is it be performed?