What is the punishment of polytheism (shirk)?
Submitted by on Wed, 23/02/2011 - 12:22
Dear Brother / Sister,
The punishment for polytheism (shirk) is described as follows in the Quran: "Those who reject (Truth), among the People of the Book and among the Polytheists, will be in Hell-fire, to dwell therein (for aye). They are the worst of creatures." (al-Bayyina, 98/6).
It was stated by the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) that all of the sins except polytheism would be forgiven, that the believers would definitely go to Paradise after being punished for their sins and that polytheists would not be forgiven if they died before repenting:
"Jibril came to me and gave me this glad tiding: "-Anyone from your ummah will enter Paradise if he dies without associating partners with Allah". Thereupon, I said to him, "-Even if he commits fornication and theft?" He replied, " Yes, even if he commits fornication and theft " According to what our Prophet (pbuh) narrates, he asked Jibril this question three times and he received the same answer each time. (Bukhari, Janaiz, 1, Libas, 24, Isti`zan, 30, Riqaq, 13,14, Tawhid, 33; Muslim, Iman, 153, 154, Zakah, 32,33; Tirmidhi, Iman, 18; Ahmad b. Hanbal, V, 152, 159, 161, VI, 166)
Questions on Islam
- Will you explain the universality of the Quran by giving examples?
- “And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter……” (al-Baqara,191) What does this verse mean?
- Is there a sin that cannot be forgiven? What are the sins that Allah will never forgive? What sins can lead a person to Hell?
- Is it not a contradiction that Allah created the sins and human beings so that they would repent and that He blamed those who committed sins and threatened them with Hell?
- Can you give information about whether the Sunnah is binding, it should be accepted as a mode and it is based on revelation or not?
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?
- How should we understand the concept ethics and the hadith stating “I was sent to complete the high ethics”?
- I wonder if prayer can affect qadar. Can we change our qadar through our prayer?
- According to the verse, “Allah accepts the repentance of those who do evil, in ignorance and repent soon afterwards... (an-Nisa, 4/17), is the repentance of those who commit a sin but do not repent at once not accepted? Until when can a person repent?
- Is it permissible to make tawassul while praying and asking the help of awliya of Allah?