What kind of measures did the Muslims take against the tortures and pressures that increased day by day?
Submitted by on Tue, 17/01/2017 - 16:44
Dear Brother / Sister,
The fifth year of the prophethood of the Messenger of Allah… Year 615…
The pressure, torture and trouble of Quraishi polytheists (mushriks) on Muslims increased day by day. Muslims had faced a circumstance in which they could not worship comfortably.
A safe place was needed to worship and to learn Islam and the teaching of the Faith. The Messenger of Allah himself searched for that place and found it. It was the house of, Arkam bin Abil Arkam bin Asad, one of the first Muslims, located in a narrow street in the east of the hill ‘’Safa’’. That house was suitable for entering and going out secretly and for controlling the street.
The Master of the Universe, our Prophet (pbuh) was the teacher and the first Muslims were students there. They informed the other Muslims about what they had learned there within possibilities. In this sense, we can regard Arkam’s house the first Islamic school, the first university that the Prophet had taught.
Till Umar’s acceptance of Islam, the Messenger of Allah carried out the duty of teaching and informing about Islam there. A lot of people including Umar were became Muslims there.
Arkam Bin Abil Asad left his house to his son on the condition that it would not be sold and passed by inheritance to anybody.
This house, which has a great importance in the history of Islam, is now called “Daru’l-Khayzuran”; it is opposite the Kaaba and is used as a religious school today. 1
1. Ibn Sa’d, Tabaqat, V. 3, p. 267; Abu’l-Walid al-Azraqi, Kâbe ve Mekke Tarikhi, Trns., p. 426; Prof. Dr. Muhammed Hamidullah, İslam Peygamberi, V. 1, p. 80.
Questions on Islam
- What kinds of measures were taken by Muslims against the pressure and torture that increased gradually?
- The Prophet and the Muslims in Dar al-Arqam
- As’ad bin Zurara (r.a.)
- Abu Bakr (r.a.)
- What kind of torture was inflicted upon Hz. Abu Bakr by the polytheists?
- Aqaba Pledges and the Spread of Islam in Madinah
- The Second Phase of the Call: Addressing Makkans on Safa Hill
- Arqam bin Abil-Arqam (r.a.)
- Migration to Madinah Starts
- What are the basic conditions that the religion of Islam gives man?