What is the evidence showing that Noah (pbuh) took only domestic animals to the ship and that he did not take animals like butterflies and snakes?
Submitted by on Mon, 06/04/2015 - 15:46
Dear Brother / Sister,
Noah (pbuh) must have taken domestic animals rather than others. He did not take animals like snake and centipede.
The reader asks about the source stating that no wild animals were taken to the ship. There is not a clear source regarding the issue. Nevertheless, it is possible to reach these conclusions from the statements of the Quran. Taking wild animals to the ship is not appropriate in terms of the occurrence of the events, time and place as well as wisdom.
The Flood must have taken place in Mesopotamia and its immediate surroundings. For, the humanity that began with Adam (pbuh), was be able to expand between Arabia and Mesopotamia in the period of Noah (pbuh). It is stated in the Quran that similar disasters that hit some tribes later are limited with the places where only those tribes lived. Accordingly, the happening of such a flood in other places of the world where no human beings lived is not appropriate in terms of wisdom. So, it is not possible for Noah (pbuh) to deal with animals living in other places. For, Allah tells Noah (pbuh) to embark the ship when water from Tannur begins to flush.
It seems that the time of embarking the ship is not certain. People were demanded to embark the ship when water from the oven flushed. In a very short time when there was, a life and death struggle, Noah (pbuh) could not think how he would take the worm inside the soil, the wolf on the mountain, the fish in the sea to the ship. In such a time, keeping and looking after wild animals is not possible.
That time is such a moment that everybody looks for a place to hide. Water pours from the sky and flushes from the ground. Houses and streets submerge in an instant. The people seek for places to shelter. The Quran states that Noah (pbuh)’s son did not embark the ship and Noah (pbuh) tried to embark his son. In other words, at the moment of the confusion taking one’ relatives and lovers to the ship, it is not the time of considering the monkey and parrot in the African jungles or the bison. It is not necessary. They embarked the domestic animals which could be useful in the place where they would go. Are there any better sources than these reasons?
They make movies to represent the historical incidents like the one mentioned above. Some people think what is shown in those movies is exactly true.
Questions on Islam
- Question 59: How were microorganisms taken to Hz. Nuh’s (Noah’s) Ark and placed? How did Hz. Nuh fit gigantic dinosaurs like Seismosaurus and T-Rex in his Ark?
- Did the Flood of Noah cover the whole world? Did the humankind continue from Hz. Nuh (Noah)?
- Prophet Yunus [Jonah] (Peace be upon him)
- How did human beings go to and settle in continents? How did they go especially to America?
- What was the religious, ethical and social situation of the humanity and world like before Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) was given the duty of prophethood?
- Prophet Nuh [Noah] (Peace be upon him)
- Question 17: It is stated in the Quran that Hz. Adam was created as the first man and that he was taught everything. In that case, what is the meaning of the wall pictures found in the caves in various places in the world?
- What is the story of Hz. Yunus in the holy books like?
- The Flood of Noah
- Did Prophets emerge only in Mesopotamia and Arabia?