What is the conditions to be a martyr?
Submitted by on Wed, 21/01/2009 - 07:00
Dear Brother / Sister,
As you know, dying of Moslems for the sake of their religion, lives, assets, and generation means they become martyrs.
There are hadiths that express that those who get killed for their religion, goods, and lives become martyrs.
As for the issues which are debated mostly in Islamic world such as committing suicide for the sake of one’s native country, religion, sacred things: Are they regarded as suicide or martyrdom? We see two different approaches; one: it is a suicide, two: it is not. Our opinion and conclusion is as follows:
1- We are not aware of both the intentions and the inner world of the people and since we are responsible for having good opinion for anybody. Therefore, when we consider of their sacrificing of their lives in the name of religion and country, it is understood that this event is not committing suicide but martyrdom.
2- According to our religion one of the requirements of the war is the rule “War could be made against those who fight and participate in.”
When we look at the suicide incidents, we see this rule of war to be violated from time to time. It is observed that such attacks are aimed at people who do not fight against them, women and children. Yet, such a situation could cause Islam to be misunderstood as a terrorist religion slaughtering innocent people even the children.
Thus, it is nice and all right for someone to sacrifice himself for the sake of the religion and country. However, this activity must be done only against those who participate in the war according to our religion. It is not suitable to be done against innocent people. Therefore, we deem this assessment suitable instead of making a final decision. Allah knows the best.
Those who sacrifice themselves for the sake of Allah are given a rank of martyrdom and get into Heaven. Houris and other bounties will be given to everybody who enters Heaven and it is not exclusively for the martyrs.
Who is a martyr? Can we consider anyone who has been killed in a war as a martyr?
Questions on Islam
- Some claim that Jihad is coercing into Islam. What is Jihad? How should it be done?
- What does Jihad Mean? What are Types of Jihad?
- What is the purpose of Jihad?
- Why is the war against the evil-self called the great jihad?
- What is the decree of Jihad?
- Do hadiths encourage Jihad?
- What does Islam say about al-Qaida? Does al-Qaida make jihad?
- What are the parts of Jihad?
- What is martyrdom? Will you give information about the levels of martyrdom? Who are martyrs? Is a person who is burnt and who is drowned a martyr?
- Does martyrdom eliminate major sins as kaffarah (atonement)?