What are the parts of Jihad?
There are four major, and those are:
1. Jihad against Ignorance: This Jihad is to teach humans the justice, the truth, and the favorable. God states in Quran addressing Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), Call to the way of your Lord with wisdom and fair exhortation, and argue with them in the best way possible. Your Lord surely knows best who has gone astray from His way, and He knows best who are the rightly guided. (An-Nahl Surah, 16:125) In another verse, There must be among you a community calling to good, and enjoining and actively promoting what is right and forbidding and trying to prevent evil (in appropriate ways). They are those who are the prosperous. (Al-Imran Surah, 3:104)
Quran is a divine antidote, not only to a particular community, but also to all humanity, which will ever come until the Judgment Day, and it is an ample cure for all of their material and spiritual, personal, and social wounds. The duty of promoting this antidote is given to the Muslims.
2. Jihad against Evil-self: In a verse, believers are warned about the intrigues of evil-self, so judge among people with the truth and do not follow personal inclination, lest it leads you astray from the path of God (Saad Surah, 38:26)
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) states that, To fight against your evil-self is the greatest Jihad (Aclûnî, Keşfül-Hafa, Beyrut, I, 143, Hadith No: 413). He draws our attentions to the importance of the Jihad in his Hadiths. As a matter of fact, when he once turned back from a battlefield by stating, To fight against the infidels is Jihad; but to fight against your evil self is greater Jihad (Kanzul-Ummal, IV, 430, Hadith No: 11260) he remarkably signified the importance of fighting against evil-self
3. Jihad against Satan: In Quran by stating that, Surely Satan is an enemy to you, so treat him as an enemy (do not follow him, and be alert against him) (Fatir Surah, 35:6) humankinds greatest enemy shown to be Satan.
4. Jihad as armed warfare against infidels: As it is not permanent, it is not farz (obligatory religious duty) for all Muslims either. Therefore, it is farz-i kifaya- where the obligation is to be provided within the community by some when the Islamic state has adequate power to engage in a war.
- Why is the war against the evil-self called the great jihad?
- What is the spiritual jihad, how should it be done?
- Some claim that Jihad is coercing into Islam. What is Jihad? How should it be done?
- Do concepts Jihad and War mean the same? If not, what are their differences?
- Some claim that Jihad is only a matter of war. Can you inform us about Jihad in the light of Quranic verses and Hadiths?
- Is Jihad only a matter of war? Can you inform us about Jihad in the light of Quranic verses and Hadiths?
- What is the purpose of Jihad?
- How can we take refuge in God?
- What is amr bi al-maruf wa nahy an al-munkar? How and whom to be done?
- Why have the Satan and the evil things been created?