What are the views about the belief of Abu Talib, the uncle of the Prophet (pbuh)? Did he die having an acceptable belief?
Submitted by on Wed, 04/01/2017 - 11:55
Dear Brother / Sister,
There are many views regarding Abu Talib’s faith. Scholars from among the Shia believe that he left with faith whereas most Sunni scholars say that he left without having testified. Furthermore, it can be understood from some of his poems that he would frequently praise our Holy Prophet (PBUH) and had testified to him through his heart.
Badiuzzaman Said Nursi explains the issue as follows:
“But what occurs to my heart is this: Abu Talib loved most earnestly, not the Most Noble Messenger’s (Upon whom be blessings and peace) messengership, but his person and his self. That - most earnest- personal love and tenderness of his surely will not go for nothing. Yes, Abu Talib sincerely loved Almighty Allah’s Noble Beloved and protected and supported him; it was because of, not denial and obduracy, but feelings like shame and tribal solidarity that he did not believe in him in acceptable fashion. If due to this he goes to Hell, He may create a sort of particular Paradise for him, in reward for his good actions. Like He sometimes creates the spring during winter in some places, and for people in prison transforms by means of sleep the prison into a palace, so too He may turn a particular Hell into a sort of particular Paradise...” 1
1. Badiuzzaman Said Nursi, Mektûbat, p. 398-399.
Questions on Islam
- What will be the rewards of the thinkers who did not believe in but who loved the Prophet a lot in the hereafter?
- The Spread of Islam and the Divine Warning to the Prophet
- The Prophet is with Abu Talib, his uncle
- When and why did the Prophet (pbuh) take Hz. Ali to his house to live with him?
- How did the second trade journey of the Prophet (pbuh) to Damascus take place? What were the extraordinary incidents that were signs of prophethood during this journey?
- The Prophet goes to Damascus for the second time
- What offers did the polytheists who could not succeed through tortures and pressures make through Abu Talib in order to make the Prophet (pbuh) abandon his cause?
- New Intrigues of Polytheists
- Will you give information about the Quranic verses that criticize the Prophet (pbuh)?
- How did Abu Talib, who took the Prophet (pbuh) under his protection, and his wife, Fatima, treat the Prophet?