What are two important duties of the Prophet (pbuh)?
Submitted by on Thu, 17/03/2022 - 11:05
Dear Brother / Sister,
Tabligh (proclaiming / conveying the message) and tabyin (explaining it) are two most important duties of the Prophet (pbuh). The first one expresses conveying the divine revelation to people and the second one expresses explaining it. The following verse mentions his duty of conveying the message:
يَٓا اَيُّهَا الرَّسُولُ بَلِّغْ مَٓا اُنْزِلَ اِلَيْكَ مِنْ رَبِّكَۜ ”O Messenger! Proclaim the (message) which hath been sent to thee from thy Lord.” (al-Maida, 5/67)
It is impossible for the Prophet to have a thought as follows: “My nation will oppose me; I will not mention the things that they will not like, at least, for the time being ...” His first duty is to convey people the realities of divine revelation; and he fulfilled that duty truly.
Referring to the verse above, Hz. Aisha states the following:
“If a person says, ‘Muhammad concealed something from the book of Allah’, he will have slandered Allah.” (Bukhari, Tafsir 53/l)
The following verse mentions his duty of explaining:
وَاَنْزَلْنَٓا اِلَيْكَ الذِّكْرَ لِتُبَيِّنَ لِلنَّاسِ مَانُزِّلَ اِلَيْهِمْ “We have sent down unto thee (also) the Message; that thou mayest explain clearly to men.” (an-Nahl, 16/44)
Issues are generally mentioned briefly in the Quran. The Prophet (pbuh) explains their details and shows people how to practice them. For example, the following verse is included in the Quran وَاَق۪يمُوا الصَّلٰوةَ وَاٰتُوا الزَّكٰوةَ “So establish regular Prayer and give regular Charity.” (an-Nur, 24/56) However, details such as how to perform prayers, when to perform them and as how many rak’ahs, what to say in ruku’ and sajdah, how much zakah to pay from which goods are clarified by the explanations and practices of the Prophet (pbuh).
As a matter of fact, the Prophet (pbuh) expresses that aspect as follows: “I have been sent only as a teacher.” (Ibn Majah¸ Muqaddima 17) His statements, explanations and practices included in hadith books are magnificent evidences of his teachership.
Questions on Islam
- How should we convey Islam through ways like the Internet, television and radio? What are the features that need to be present in conveying the message of Islam and the person who conveys it?
- Although the deeds of worship are not explained in the Quran, how were they, for instance, the number of the rak’ahs of prayers, determined? Is the source sacred hadiths since the amount is not mentioned in the Quran?
- 1. Prophethood
- 4. Belief in Prophets
- How should we give advice to our family members who have no religious knowledge?
- Is the duty of the Prophet not to make people understand Islam?
- What are the principles of rhetoric mentioned in the Quran and the Sunnah?
- Five prayers at five different times...
- Why is the private life of the Prophet (PBUH) mentioned in the Quran?
- Has Allah rendered it fard in His Book to follow the sunnah of the Messenger of Allah?