We keep a cat in our flat. Is it permissible to spay or castrate domestic cats?
Submitted by on Tue, 08/03/2016 - 23:46
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is not permissible to spay or castrate animals in general if it is not useful for them and if it can harm them.
However, the case for cats and other pets kept in houses is different. When these animals come together with animals outside, they may catch various illnesses and their lifespan gets shorter due to those diseases.
It is said that solutions like spaying and castrating benefit them rather than harming them and lengthen their lifespan.Therefore, it should be permissible to spay or castrate those animals based on the principle of "protecting them from the harms they can suffer and benefitting them".
Questions on Islam
- Cat Hair
- What are the frequent questions related to sacrificing an animal and their answers?
- Are pets ok?
- What is Taharah (Cleanliness)?
- Can I perform prayers in the clothes that I wore while I loved / played with my cat?
- Reading Text: Cleanliness in the Animal Kingdom
- Can we live and worship in a house having dog?
- First Branch: The manifestation of different names of Allah on various creatures and levels of living beings.
- Could you please give information about Hunting in Islam?