Was Hz. Adam created in Paradise? There are different views of tafsir scholars. How should we think and believe regarding the issue?
Submitted by on Fri, 02/06/2017 - 11:56
Dear Brother / Sister,
It seems that Hz. Adam was created in the world.
“I will create a vicegerent on earth.” (al-Baqara, 2/30)
The verse above indicates this.
It is known that he settled in Paradise after he was created.
“We said: "O Adam! Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden and eat of the bountiful things therein as (where and when) ye will; but approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression.” (al-Baqara, 2/35)
The verse above emphasizes this fact.
There are some scholars who say,
“This paradise is a garden in the world. For, Hz. Adam was created in the world.”
However, According to the majority of the scholars, the purpose is eternal Paradise.
Was the paradise where Hz. Adam was created one of the paradises in the world? Some people thought so. They said,
"It was a paradise in Palestine or between Faris and Kirman. His being sent down was his transfer to India."
However, they were said with such reasoning: For, it is unanimously agreed that the creation of Hz. Adam took place in the world; and his being elevated to the sky is not mentioned in this story. If it had been so, it would have been reminded at first. If it had been an eternal paradise, he would not have left it and Satan could not have entered it. However, this guess is not as reasonable and natural as it seems. Hz. Adam's being sent down to the world and his appearance on earth is more appropriate in terms of reason, and verses and hadiths. There is a difference between entering an eternal paradise with the purpose of permanent settlement and as a guest.
Then, "Paradise" is the house of thawab where believers will go in the hereafter; it exists now but it is hidden. This is what is known when "Paradise" is uttered in the language of the Quran. Hz. Adam's living in Paradise is a first happening like the formation of the realm of the hereafter. In our opinion, it is a reasonable realm. There is no need for an imagination of distance between the earth and it. It is also in the same space. (bk. Elmalılı Hamdi YAZIR, the interpretation of the relevant verse)
Questions on Islam
- What is the original homeland of Hz. Adam? If it is Paradise, does Allah say, "I will create a vicegerent on earth"?
- Were Hz. Havva (Eve) and Hz. Adam married? Why were they expelled from Paradise?
- If the Satan had not been created, would we all have been in Paradise?
- Was Hz. Adam created as a community? How is the creation of Hz. Adam narrated in the Quran?
- How should we answer those who allege that Paradise and Hell are not eternal, and that after a while (God forbid), Allah will feel bored and destroy Paradise and Hell?
- What language did Hz Adam and Hz Eve speak? What language will be spoken in Paradise?
- The slander that Allah does not know the deeds that man will do..
- In the Paradise houris (houri: A nymph in the form of a beautiful virgin supposed to dwell in Paradise for the enjoyment of the faithful) will be given to men. What about the marital status of women in the Hereafter?
- How should we understand woman being created from man's rib?
- "And they will have therein their sustenance, morning and evening." (Maryam, 62) Will there be two meals in Paradise?