Was Basmala the same in the other religions as Arabic or how was it present?
Submitted by on Fri, 24/04/2015 - 14:37
Dear Brother / Sister,
We could not come across a precise hadith report regarding the issue. However, according to the declaration of some scholars, Noah and Adam (pbuh)’s reciting Basmala was in their own language. The Quran reported to us in Arabic what they said in their own languages. (see Alusu, the interpretation of an-Naml/27/30.)
To some scholars, about it is possible that Solomon (pbuh)’s letter was be in Hebrew language or in Qahtani Arabic (Ibn Ashur, the interpretation of an-Naml/27/30). According to these scholars, since the country Sheba, where Balqis was the queen, was in Yemen region, their language was Qahtani Arabic. Solomon (pbuh) must have dictated this letter in their language to be able to be understood.
While Abu Hayyan mentioned the virtue of Basmala, he said, ‘‘Basmala is used in their own languages in the each prophet’s sharia, at the beginning of each book/letter’’ (al-Bahru’l-Muhit,the interpretation of an-Naml/27/30)
As a principle we can say that stories told about prophets and tribes speaking in different languages in the Quran were conveyed from their own languages into Arabic. It would be a baseless claim to exclude basmala.
Questions on Islam
- What language did Hz Adam and Hz Eve speak? What language will be spoken in Paradise?
- Why is the language of the Quran Arabic? How can we answer those who regard this as nationalism? Is it not better if we read the translation of the Quran?
- Is Basmala (Bismillahirrahmanirrahim: In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful) a verse in the Quran?
- Could you please give information about “Qiraah” (reading/reciting the Quran)?
- Prophet Sulayman [Solomon] (Peace be upon him)
- What is basmala? Is there a hadith as follows?: "Basmala is the key to every book"?
- Is teleportation possible? Can a living person be teleported? Can cells be eliminated and then brought together again?
- How did Zayd bin Thabit learn foreign languages? What methods did the Prophet (pbuh) teach him about learning a language?
- Will the language of Paradise be Arabic? Will Arabic be spoken in the hereafter? If so, is there a verse or hadith indicating this?