Is the vaccine that includes porcine gelatin permissible?
It is said that some vaccines or medications contain porcine gelatin. Is it halal to use those vaccines or medications? For example, if there is porcine gelatin in the corona virus vaccine, is it permissible to use it or do we have to use it? What tack should we take and according to what? What should we do as citizens in such a situation? What should our attitude be according to our religion?
Submitted by on Tue, 12/01/2021 - 15:00
Dear Brother / Sister,
If a medication or vaccine obtained from halal substances has not yet been produced for the treatment of a disease, or if it has been produced but it is not possible to reach them and if it is stated by a medical specialist whose professional competence and honesty are trustworthy that a substance that is haram or a drug or vaccine produced from it has to be used, there is no drawback to taking that drug or getting vaccinated according to the religion of Islam. For, "Necessities make prohibitions (haram things) permissible.” (Majalla, article 21)
If the necessity disappears and drugs or vaccines made from other halal substances are found, it will be necessary to use halal ones. For, "Necessities are estimated by the extent thereof." (Majalla, article 22)
Questions on Islam
- Are E additives that exist in some food items haram? Can we consume that safely?
- Do zarurahs (necessities) render harams halal? Is it possible in Islam to abandon fards for harams or to commit a haram deed for something fard? If yes, when?
- Is using a cadaver permissible? Is it religiously appropriate for the students studying and academicians teaching at the faculty of medicine to work on cadavers?
- What are the decrees of our religion about treatment? Are there any places where it is permissible to be treated with haram things?
- Is any kind of gelatin haram for muslim?
- What is the criterion of permissibility for a food to be aten in Islam?
- How were diseases cured during the era of the Prophet and the companions? Will you give information about preventive medicine?
- Is recovery a result of medication?
- Why has pork been rendered haram in the religion of Islam?
- Is it permissible to use the products/food items that include gelatin as an additive? Is it halal when it is not definitely known that it is haram?