Is there any harm in buying toys in the shape of pigs for our children?
Submitted by on Mon, 22/11/2010 - 22:53
Dear Brother / Sister,
Toys in the shape of pigs may cause children to love and consider them Halal. Therefore, they are unfavorable.
Our religion Islam, set rules for people to protect them from every kind of material and spiritual harms and prohibited things that are bad and possibly harmful for them; and made things Halal which are good and useful. (Al-Baqara, 2/168, 173; Al-Araf 7/157). It is also clearly stated in the Qur’an that the pig is nasty and its meat was made haram. “He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah. but if one is forced by necessity without willful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits―then is he guiltless. For Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful.” (Al-Baqara, 2/173; An-Nahl 16/115; Al-Maeda, 5/3; Al Anaam).
Although only the prohibition of pork is mentioned in the Qur’an, Islamic scholars evaluated the expression stated in the 145th verse of Al-Anaam, “Rijsun” (impure) and the following expression in the 157th Surah of Al-Araf, “…for He forbids them what is evil” together and expressed that every part of the pig is haram”. Accordingly, all parts of the pig are regarded like “mayta” (dead animal) and are religiously impure. It is forbidden in our religion to eat, drink and consume products that are produced from the pig.
According to the majority of Islamic scholars, even if the skin of the pig is tanned, it is not considered to be cleaned. However some Islamic scholars generalized the judgment of the hadith “When the skin is tanned, it becomes pure” (Muslim, “Hayd” 105; Abu Dawud, “Libas”, Muwatta, “Sayd”, 19; Ahmed b. Hanbal, I, 219,227) and said that including the skin of the pig, all kinds of skins are cleaned by tanning.
Selling and buying pig is forbidden in our religion as it is not a valuable product according to our religion, Islam.
As toys in the shape of pigs are not real pigs, they are excluded from the category of prohibitions. However in order to evoke love in your children towards clean animals, you can prefer other toy animals. (Directorate of Religious Affairs (of Turkey)
Questions on Islam
- Why has pork been rendered haram in the religion of Islam?
- Are E additives that exist in some food items haram? Can we consume that safely?
- why muslims don't eat bacon?
- Is it right to have ones body tattooed?
- How can we clean the objects like wallets and belts that are made from leather and similar substances, that absorb impurities and that are almost impossible to squeeze?
- Body Cleaning which is Sunnah
- What is Taharah (Cleanliness)?
- Does wearing hijab (tasattur) cause bone thinning (osteoporosis)?
- Will you please give information about oral health in terms of religion and science?