Some people invest premiums in banks and earn a right for second retirement. Is that permitted in Islam?
Submitted by on Mon, 26/10/2009 - 14:53
Dear Brother / Sister,
On condition that individual retirement systems bear the quality of profit share and are accepted not as interest but as partnership or as share from profit, then there is no drawback in that. However, individual retirement appears completely to be interest. For if somebody gives his/her money to the state or to someone else with the intention to obtain interest, and then receives it more in amount, as is known it is accepted as interest. And those who take interest are held responsible in the religion.
In permanent life insurance and individual retirement system, the premiums paid by the participants in periods of at least 10 years but generally of 30-35 years are made use of in various funds. In return, the participants who have fulfilled a certain time period (at least 25 years) are assigned a salary. Here medical care and other social facilities as in public insurance agencies are not in question. The funds that are financed with the premiums taken from the participants usually invest that money in local or foreign interest-related instruments. The participants are charged with very high amounts of money under the names of entrance fees and administration expense. That those companies attain huge profits and large growth is a proof of the fact that they look after themselves at least as much as they think about their members. The considerable part of the huge funds known as international finance capital comes from retirement funds. Under the light of these explanations, it is a normal action for a Muslim careful about the subject of interest to stay away from private retirement companies.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to have insurance, motor insurance and to work for an insurance company?
- There are so many banks that claim to be "Islamic", that is "Interest Free" banking. Could you explain please which banks are preferable?
- Is life insurance haram?
- Is there a judgment about investments such as investment fund and equity issuance in our religion?
- Is share market permissible in Islam?
- Is share market business and life insurance allowed in Islam?
- Why is Interest Forbidden?
- What is Interest and why is it Forbidden?
- Is private life insurance permissible?
- Can we act according to the fatwa of those who say that the stock market is permissible?