Submitted by on Wed, 11/08/2010 - 16:23
Dear Brother / Sister,
According to Malikis, it is permissible to remove all the hairs on the body that spoil the beauty or disturb the person – whether male or female - It is wajib (obligatory) for a woman to remove the hairs that her husband does not like. (Jazari, al-Fiqhu ala’l-Madhahibi’l-arbaa -, 2/45)
According to Hanafis, it is contrary to decency for men to shave the hairs on their backs and chests. (Jazari, ibid.)
It is understood from that expression that to remove the hairs on the back and chest is not haram or tahriman makrooh for Hanafis. It can only be tanzihan makrooh, contrary to decency.
Based on the explanations above, we can say that according to Hanafi and Maliki sects, there is no drawback to removing the hairs on the arms – an organ different from the back and chest - especially for the people who feel really disturbed among people.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissbile to remove all the hairs on my hands?
- Is it permissible for men to pluck or to shave the hairs on their body parts?
- Is it permissible for Muslim women to remove the extra hairs between or around her eyebrows?
- Is it permitted for women to pluck their eyebrows, to remove hairs on their face and between and around their eyebrows?
- Is it permissible for women to pluck their eyebrows, to remove the hairs on their legs and faces, between their eyebrows and next to them?
- Is laser epilation permissible?
- the proper way to perform Wudhu.
- Is it valid for the congregation to salute after the imam salutes to the right and left?
- Is it makruh to keep the fingers apart and to turn them toward a direction other than the qiblah in sajdah (prostration)?
- Is it permissible for women to shave the facial hair on their faces?