Is it permitted for women to pluck their eyebrows, to remove hairs on their face and between and around their eyebrows?
Submitted by on Thu, 27/08/2009 - 12:27
Dear Brother / Sister,
Allah created each person with a separate beauty. The beauty in which the seal of oneness is read on the face of human beings is the beauty that is inherent and natural. It is a sign of being a slave of Allah to keep it, to thank Allah for the characteristics and beauty he owns and be content with what Allah has granted.
Therefore a person should not make any changes in his/her body if it is not something vital or obligatory. Our Prophet (PBUH), who prohibited to make changes in the human body without any real necessity, said Allah had cursed “those women who tattooed and who have themselves tattooed, those who pluck hair from their faces and those who make spaces between their teeth for beautification” for changing what Allah has created and warned them.(1)
By acting upon this hadith the fiqh ulama said it is permissible for a woman on whose face a beard or mustache grows to remove them; however it is not permissible for a woman to make her eyebrows thin, to put them out of their natural state, to arrange the eyelashes, to use false eyelashes. Teeth, eyebrows and eyelashes are like organs. There is no drawback in removing the hairs by a woman on her face that grow later and that were not present in the beginning because they are not like eyebrows or eyelashes. Similarly, there is no drawback for women to remove the hairs on their legs. For they are not counted as an organ like eyebrows.
In the books of fiqh (Islamic Law) we see the following principle:
-The hairs on the face which make women look ugly, are removed. If such hairs as beard and mustache, which are peculiar to men, grow on women's faces, it is permissible to remove them.
“Ibn-i Abidin stated that beard and mustache were not of the creation (fitrat) of women (not natural for them), therefore (if they grow) it is good (mustahab) to remove them.
Shaving is not the best way of removing those hairs, but the best way is through such medical methods as epilating wax, powder, or the like.” ( Kadın İlmihali, Mürşide Uysal, p. 370)
Dr. Jale Şimşek
Please click on the link given below;
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible for women to pluck their eyebrows, to remove the hairs on their legs and faces, between their eyebrows and next to them?
- Is it permissible for Muslim women to remove the extra hairs between or around her eyebrows?
- Is it permissible for men to pluck or to shave the hairs on their body parts?
- Is it permissible for women to shave the facial hair on their faces?
- Is it halal (lawful or permitted) for a woman to wear a wig, cut or dye her hair?
- Is it permissible for women to paint their nails by polishing them?
- About Growing Beards
- Is it compulsory to grow a mustache in Islam? Is a person who does not grow a mustache as big as a fist regarded sinful? Is there any hadith (saying of the Prophet) which states that growing a mustache is compulsory and that one cannot be a Muslim without
- Is it haram to shave the beard?
- Is it permissible to shave beards in upward direction?