Is it permissbile to remove all the hairs on my hands?
Submitted by on Mon, 27/07/2009 - 22:07
Dear Brother / Sister,
According to Malikis, it is permissible to remove all the hairs on the body that spoil the beauty or disturb the person – whether male or female - It is wajib (obligatory) for a woman to remove the hairs that her husband does not like. (Jazari, al-Fiqhu ala’l-Madhahibi’l-arbaa -, 2/45)
According to Hanafis, it is contrary to decency for men to shave the hairs on their backs and chests. (Jazari, ibid.)
It is understood from that expression that to remove the hairs on the back and chest is not haram or tahriman makrooh for Hanafis. It can only be tanzihan makrooh, contrary to decency.
Based on the explanations above, we can say that according to Hanafi and Maliki sects, there is no drawback to removing the hairs on the arms – an organ different from the back and chest - especially for the people who feel really disturbed among people.
Questions on Islam
- removing hair
- Is it permissible for men to pluck or to shave the hairs on their body parts?
- Organ Transplantation
- Is organ transplantation Halal? What does Islam say about organ donation? Is it permissible to receive or donate an organ from or to a Non-Muslim?
- Makruhs of prayer
- Is it permissible for women to paint their nails by polishing them?
- What is Wudu (Ablution)?
- Is it permissible for Muslim women to remove the extra hairs between or around her eyebrows?
- Is it haram to shave the beard?