Is qada or kaffarah necessary for a person who does masturbation when he is fasting?
Submitted by on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 10:07
Dear Brother / Sister,
If a person who does masturbation when he/she is fasting, his/her fasting is invalidated; when such a person learns that it invalidates fasting, he/she must repent at once and decide not to do it again. He/she needs to perform it as qada after Ramadan as one day for each day.
It is written in Hindiyya, Bahr, Durrul-Mukhtar and other fiqh books that masturbation invalidates fasting but that only qada (fasting for one day) is necessary.
It is haram and a major sin not to fast in Ramadan or break a fasting without completing it though it is fard.
Fasting is an education of the will in terms of keeping away consciously from the desires of the soul. It is an effective way of controlling the desires of the soul and elevating the spirit by purifying it. It becomes clear that those who are overcome by their lustful desires fail in the education of the will.
That masturbation does not necessitate kaffarah (fasting for two months) does not show that it is an unimportant sin. On the contrary, those who break fasting without an excuse commit a major sin. (Zaylai, Tabyin, 1/323; Ibn Nujaym, al-Bahr, 2/293)
Questions on Islam
- What are the things that invalidate fasting according to Shafii madhhab? Does eating deliberately while fasting necessitate kaffarah?
- What are the things and states that invalidate fasting?
- How is kaffarah fasting performed? If a person breaks fasting in Ramadan more than one day, how many times does he have to perform kaffarah fasting? Does kaffarah fasting become necessary if a person does not fast in Ramadan?
- Does smoking cigarettes and hookah invalidate fasting?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- What are the evidences of the obligation of kaffarah (atonement) for fasting?
- Is sexual intercourse permissible in the month of Ramadan?
- Is it permissible to continue eating and drinking at suhur when adhan is being called?
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?
- Is it a sin not to perform fasting in the month of Ramadan without any excuse? Will it be a sin if i skip Ramadan fasting without any excuse with the intention of fasting in winter? Will fasting performed in winter replace the fasting skipped in Ramadan?