Is a prayer that is performed before adhan is called (a little while before its time starts) accepted?
I sometimes perform a prayer thinking that adhan was called but I hear the adhan immediately or five minutes after I perform the prayer. I do not perform that prayer again because I say to myself Allah will accept it. I have already performed it. Is what I do wrong?
Submitted by on Wed, 17/04/2019 - 10:39
Dear Brother / Sister,
Time is a prerequisite for fard prayers, their sunnah prayers, witr, tarawih, Friday and eid prayers: Fard prayers consist of the morning (fajr), noon (zuhr), afternoon (asr), evening (maghrib) and night (isha) prayers. Friday prayer is performed within the time period for the noon prayer. It is a duty that is fard to know the times of those prayers. A prayer that is performed before its time has started is not valid; it has to be performed within the time period determined for it.
However, a prayer that is performed after the time period for that prayer starts but before adhan is called is valid. Therefore, if a prayer is performed before its time, it has to be performed again. If a prayer is performed after the time period for that prayer starts but before adhan is called, it is valid. It is not performed again. You need to act based on this criteria.
Accordingly, there is no drawback to performing a prayer after the time period for that prayer has started even if adhan has not been called. However, if the time period for that prayer has not started, the prayer that is performed is not valid as the fard prayer since its time has not started; it has to be performed again.
Questions on Islam
- When and how are the missed (qada) prayers performed? Are the sunnah prayers performed as well?
- What is the decree about missed (qada) prayers? When and how are they performed? How should one say niyyah (intention) for them?
- Can a prayer be performed while adhan is being called?
- If the next adhan is called while performing a prayer, will that prayer be valid?
- Will you give information about the afternoon (asr) prayer?
- What is the importance of time for prayer (salah)?
- The Times of Prayers
- Friday Prayer
- A short explanation about Friday prayer and sermon
- What are the mustahab times for performing five daily prayers? For instance, the morning prayer (fajr) can be performed up to the time of sunrise. What about the other prayers?