Is polygamy possible in this age? Can men imitate the Prophet regarding the issue?
Submitted by on Sat, 01/06/2019 - 14:27
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is necessary to deal with the polygamy of the Prophet (pbuh) taking the conditions of the age he lived in into consideration. Besides, the Prophet (pbuh) married at the age of twenty-five a woman who was 40 years old and lived with her for many years. He did not marry anybody else until his first wife Khadija died.
This marriage of the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) lasted for 25 years. All of his children except Ibrahim were born of this woman. When she died, the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) was 50 years old. That is, the Prophet (pbuh) spent most of his marriage life, his youth and years of maturity only with this woman, who was 15 years older than him.
The polygamy of the Prophet (pbuh) took place after the age of 50 and all of them are based on certain reasons.
If the men living in this age want to imitate the Prophet (pbuh) regarding marriage, they should not forget about his first marriage.
Questions on Islam
- Will you give information about Mariya, the Prophet’s wife?
- Were there any handicapped companions during the time when the Prophet (PBUH) lived? How did the Prophet (pbuh) treat them?
- How old was Aisha (R.A) when she got married to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?
- 4. Makkah Period of Hazrath Muhammad
- Is it justifiable for a man who lost his right hand, his wealth, wife and job in an accident to commit suicide?
- Can it be proved that Islam is a religion of love, peace and tolerance? Can you give examples about it?
- What is an illegitimate child? What does the religion of Islam say about this term?
- Did Hz. Nuh (Noah) continue the duty of prophethood after the deluge too?
- Is it objectionable to marry a woman who cannot have a child? Is there a hadith of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) prohibiting marrying women that cannot have children? How can we understand whether a woman can have children or not?
- Is it permissible for a man to buy a present for his wife on Valentine’s Day?