Is it permissible for a woman who is in menstruation to fast?
Is it permissible for a woman who is in menstruation to fast or is it definitely forbidden? Some women performed fasting in menstruation acting upon the explanation of a scholar that it was permissible. If it is definitely forbidden, do they have to perform fasting for those days?
Submitted by on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 11:39
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is haram for women in menstruation and in puerperium to fast. It is certain that Hz. Aisha stated the following:
"During the time of the Messenger of Allah (pbuh), when one of us made ghusl after the menstruation period ended, she would perform the fasting that she skipped as qada but she would not perform the prayers she skipped." (Fathul-Qadir, I/114)
Therefore, the women in menstruation and in puerperium do not fast. After they get cleaned, they perform fasting one day for each day that they have skipped.
Questions on Islam
- Is it a sin not to perform fasting in the month of Ramadan without any excuse? Will it be a sin if i skip Ramadan fasting without any excuse with the intention of fasting in winter? Will fasting performed in winter replace the fasting skipped in Ramadan?
- How can we answer those who say it is not written in the Quran that women who are in menstruation and puerperium cannot perform fasting and prayers?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Can a woman who is in menstruation perform fasting according to verse 184 of the chapter of al-Baqara?
- What are the things that invalidate fasting according to Shafii madhhab? Does eating deliberately while fasting necessitate kaffarah?
- What is the way, decree and time for the intention (niyyah) of fasting? Is it permissible to make intention after imsak? Does the time of niyyah change according to fard or nafilah fasting?
- Should those who have difficulty in performing fasting due to their conditions perform fasting later or pay fidya?
- Is it permissible for a person who does hard manual labor not to perform fasting? What are the excuses that makes it permissible for a person not to fast?
- Does a woman who cannot fast in pregnancy perform fasting later or pay fidyah?
- What is the penalty in the hereafter for a person who does not perform fasting in Ramadan without any excuse?