Is it permissible to shave, to trim nails and to have eyebrows plucked when a person is junub or in menstruation?
Submitted by on Tue, 11/12/2018 - 10:47
Dear Brother / Sister,
A junub person should not shave, trim his nails and should not have any parts leave his body before he makes ghusl. He should do them after making ghusl and being clean.
It is not haram for a junub person to shave or to have a haircut and to trim his nails but it is not appropriate. Imam Ghazali states the following in his book called Ihyau Ulum ad-Din:
It is not appropriate for a junub person to trim his nails, to have a haircut, to shave his pubic pits, to get blood drawn or to have a part broken off from his body. For, the whole body will return in the hereafter; the thing cut off or shaved will return as junub. (Mughnil-Muhtaj, I/75; Halil Gönenç, Günümüz Meselelerine Fetvalar)
- Why should one do them after making ghusl but not when he is junub?
Man is a reverend being and it is necessary to show respect to all of his reverend organs. Even if it is nail, it should not leave the body when the body is dirty. Therefore, man should not cut his hair, beard, nails, etc. from his body when he is junub.
If a person shaves, trims his nails and cuts off a part from his body when he is junub, his ghusl is not harmed or invalidated. Such a person is regarded to have committed a makruh deed.
The same thing is valid for women who are in their menstruation period or puerperium. They should not shave and trim their nails when they are in such states and prefer to do them after making ghusl.
However, if they do them before ghusl, their ghusl is valid. There is no need to have doubts about it. Women had better shave and trim their nails before their menstruation period or puerperium. However, if it becomes necessary again to shave and trim their nails again in puerperium, which is a long period, it can be regarded as an excuse.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible for women to pluck their eyebrows, to remove the hairs on their legs and faces, between their eyebrows and next to them?
- Can women enter the mosques where Friday prayers are performed and that have pulpits when they are in menstruation?
- How did the Prophet take care of his beard? How wide and long should be a beard of Sunnah?
- What are the rights of women in Islam? How do you answer the claims that Islam puts pressure and limitations on women?
- Is wudu invalidated if blood flows after making wudu? For instance, if a person cuts his face while shaving or hits a place and blood comes out, is his wudu invalidated?
- How should a person who just had an operation make ghusl? Is ghusl permissible if I wipe over the parts that have bandage? How should a person wash the places that are covered with sticking plasters or bandage while making wudu?
- What are the frequent questions related to sacrificing an animal and their answers?
- What is the importance of Friday and what are the deeds of worship to be performed on that day?
- Will you give information about Zayn al-Abidin? Why was he persecuted?
- What are the ways of protection from Satan?