Is it permissible to perform a prostration of thanking for a woman when she is in the menstruation period?
Submitted by on Wed, 09/03/2016 - 00:50
Dear Brother / Sister,
"Prostration of thanking" is like prostration of tilawah (reading). It is mustahab for a person who has been given a bounty or who has got rid of a problem to perform "a prostration of thanking" to Allah. In prostration, he first says "Alhamdulillah (Praise be to Allah)". Then, he utters the glorification uttered in prostration.
It is makruh (abominable) to perform a prostration after a prayer.
One of the conditions for the validity of a prayer is "cleanliness from hadath".
Not having wudu, being junub, being in the state of menstruation and puerperium is called "the state of hadath". Not having wudu is called minor hadath and the others are called major hadath. To be cleaned from hadath is possible through making wudu, making ghusl or tayammum. Allah states the following in the Quran:
"O ye who believe! when ye prepare for prayer, wash your faces and your hands (and arms) to the elbows; rub your heads (with water); and (wash) your feet to the ankles. If ye are in a state of ceremonial impurity, bathe your whole body." (al-Maida, 5/6)
Hz. Prophet (pbuh) states the following:
"Allah will not accept the prayer of a person whose wudu is invalidated unless he makes wudu again." (Bukhari, Wudu ; 2; Muslim, Taharah, 2; Ahmad b. Hanbal, II/308).
"Allah will not accept any prayer if the person performing it is unclean." (Bukhari, Wudu ; 2; Muslim, Taharah, 1; Tirmidhi, Taharah, 1; Darimi, Wudu, 21; Ahmad Ibn Hanbal, II/39).
It is necessary to be cleaned from hadath for full prayers like fard, wajib, sunnah or supererogatory prayers or incomplete prayers like prostration of tilawah or thanking. A prayer without wudu is not valid.
Accordingly, a woman who is the period of menstruation cannot perform a prostration of thanking.
Questions on Islam
- What does Taharah from hadath Mean?
- Cases in Which Wudu is Broken
- How is the prostration of Quran recitation (sajdah at-tilawah) performed when a verse of prostration (sajdah) is read? Is it permissible to delay this prostration?
- How Many Kinds of Hadath are There?
- How Many Kinds of Wudu are There?
- Can women enter the mosques where Friday prayers are performed and that have pulpits when they are in menstruation?
- Sajdah as-Sahw
- What is Wudu (Ablution)?
- Why is being janabah haram forbidden? Why are men regarded dirty? Is it haram for a junub person to eat and drink?
- GHUSL: What does ghusl (full ablution) mean?