Is it permissible for a Muslim to sing a song?
Submitted by on Mon, 01/02/2010 - 17:30
Dear Brother / Sister,
A song or a piece of music that is permissible to sing, broadcast and listen to must have the following properties:
1- The lyrics and the clip of the song must not have a depressing and grievous content.
2- The lyrics and the clip must not arouse lustful and carnal desires.
3- The lyrics and the clip must not encourage evil things.
4- The lyrics and the clip must not praise something that is forbidden by Islam.
5- The lyrics must not include words about other people that are unpleasant, that criticize and blame them like backbiting, slandering and gossiping.
6- The lyrics and the clip must not arouse grudge, revenge, animosity, jealousy, hatred and discord.
7- The person singing the song must avoid using a tune, lyrics and tone of voice that will arouse the feelings of the opposite gender by softening one’s voice, behaving coquettishly, etc.
8- The lyrics of the song, the singing style, its clip, the environment where the song is sung or listened to must be permissible.
For more information please click on the links given below;
Questions on Islam
- What type of music is safe to listen on Ramadan?
- What is the view of the four madhhabs on music?
- To listen to music is permitted or Haram in islam?
- Is it Haram to Listen to Music? What is the judgment of the religion of Islam about listening to the music?
- What is the criterion of listening to music in our religion?
- What are the hadiths and views of Islamic scholars about listening to musical instruments?
- music in islam
- Is playing the guitar permissible in Islam?
- What does “lahw al-l-hadith” mentioned in verse 6 of the chapter of Luqman mean?
- Is it permissible to recite the quran with taghanni and as if singing?