Is it permissible to continue eating and drinking at suhur when adhan is being called?
What is the time to start fasting in the month of Ramadan? Does it end when adhan starts or when adhan ends at suhur time? Is it permissible to drink water before the adhan ends at suhur time? What should we do when adhan starts to be called while we are drinking water? If this invalidates fasting, does qada or kaffarah become necessary?
Submitted by on Fri, 18/05/2018 - 11:26
Dear Brother / Sister,
Fasting starts as soon as imsak time starts and when the time for the evening prayer ends, fasting ends. Therefore, it is not appropriate to eat and drink until adhan ends at the time of suhur. If adhan is read just in time, it is necessary to stop eating and drinking as soon as it starts.
If adhan is read when imsak time starts and if a person continues eating and drinking, he needs to perform one day as qada if it is not deliberate. However, if he knows that his fasting will be invalidated but he continues eating, kaffarah also becomes necessary.
Questions on Islam
- When does Suhur end?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Can we eat and drink till to the end of adhan at Sahur (meal eaten before starting fast)?
- Special File for Ramadan
- The duration of suhur (a meal taken before fajr in the month of Ramadan) and the time of the morning prayer
- One should break the Ramadan fast quickly
- Should those who have difficulty in performing fasting due to their conditions perform fasting later or pay fidya?
- Is it permissible for a person who does hard manual labor not to perform fasting? What are the excuses that makes it permissible for a person not to fast?
- When does Suhoor (a meal taken before fajr in the month of Ramadan) end?
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?