Is it necessary for a person to perform fasting again if he breaks a supererogatory fasting deliberately according to Shafiis and Hanafis?
Submitted by on Wed, 06/04/2016 - 01:18
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is necessary to perform fasting again if a person breaks any supererogatory fasting. It does not matter whether a person breaks his fasting deliberately or not.
Accordingly, if a woman who starts supererogatory fasting but has to break it due to having menstruation, she needs to perform it again according to the sound view. For, it is necessary (wajib) to continue a deed of worshipping and a religious duty and not to give it up.
According to Shafiis, such a person does not have to perform fasting again; however, if she wishes, she can perform it again. For, she started a deed of worshipping that is not wajib for her. Performing an extra (supererogatory) deed of worshipping again is not necessary.
Questions on Islam
- Frequently Asked Questions on Fasting
- Is it permissbile not to fast while on trip during Ramadan?
- Is it permissible for a person who does hard manual labor not to perform fasting? What are the excuses that makes it permissible for a person not to fast?
- Does brushing one's teeth with toothpaste invalidate fasting?
- What is the penalty in the hereafter for a person who does not perform fasting in Ramadan without any excuse?
- What is Sadaqah al-Fitr (Fitrah)?
- What a fasting person should do as a Kaffarah (Atonement) when he/she does one of the things that invalidate the fast?
- Should those who have difficulty in performing fasting due to their conditions perform fasting later or pay fidya?
- Is there a kind of fasting like the fasting of the Prophet, the fasting of water and the fasting of hunger?
- Is it permissible to perform the fasting of Shawwal and the fasting of Qada together?