Does brushing one's teeth with toothpaste invalidate fasting?
Can a person who performs supererogatory (nafilah) fasting brush his teeth with toothpaste?
Submitted by on Fri, 26/05/2017 - 15:57
Dear Brother / Sister,
A brush is likemiswak; according to to fiqh, it is regarded as miswak. According to Hanafis, a person who is fasting can use a miswak or brush whether it is dry or wet any time, before or after noon.
However, according to some narrations, Abu Yusuf states that it is makruh for a person who is fasting to use a wet miswak
According to Shafiis, it is permissible to use miswaq before noon but makruh after noon. To sum up, According to the preferred view of Hanafis, it is permissible to use miswak (brush) any time.
According to Imam Abu Yusuf, it is makruh for a person who is fasting to use a miswak and brush wetted by water. However, according to Abu Hanifa and Imam Muhammad, it is not makruh for a person who is fasting to use a miswak or brush wetted by water.
However, it is definitely makruh to use a toothbrush with toothpaste for a person who is fasting; it is necessary to avoid it. However, fasting is not invalidated unless the toothpaste is swallowed.
Questions on Islam
- In what order should we read chapters of the Quran in prayer? Is it makruh to read them without an order? Will you give information about the lengths of chapters and the order of reading them in prayer?
- What is the criterion for the disease that makes it permissible not to fast in Ramadan? Does a person who has high blood pressure, diabetes and cholesterol have to fast in Ramadan?
- After the three months and the fast of Shawwal
- What is the importance of Friday and what are the deeds of worship to be performed on that day?
- Is it necessary to perform fasting on the day of arafah in the fasting of the first ten days of “Dhul-Hijjah”?
- Does crying invalidate the prayer (salah) and wudu?
- In some hadiths, the following is stated: "When the month of Ramadan comes, the rebellious devils (marada ash-shayatin) are chained." What does marada ash-shayatin mean? What are the manifestations of devils' being chained?
- What are the evidences of the obligation of kaffarah (atonement) for fasting?
- Is it permissible to perform prayers when Friday sermon is delivered? Is it not fard to listen to Friday sermon?
- Is there a drawback in terms of health and religion to sleep after the morning prayer and between the afternoon and evening prayer (faylula, ghaylula and qaylula)?