If we perform more rak'ahs than necessary in the fard of a salah, what must we do? Can we perform more rak'ahs than necessary in the fard of a salah intentionally?
Submitted by on Sun, 03/05/2015 - 21:51
Dear Brother / Sister,
The one who stands up by mistake after the last sitting in the fard of a salah adds two more rak'ahs to this salah and then makes salutations. He/she perform sajda as-sahw at the end of the salah. To perform the salah in that way intentionally is not appropriate. For, to make salutations is wajib and by doing so wajib is delayed.
If the one who forgets to sit at the end of the salah stands up, he completes the salah by adding two more rakahs again, but the salah turns into a nafilah salah and he/she has to perform the salah again.
To make salutation is wajib. The decree of wajib: It must be done definitely. The one who leaves wajib deserves less punishment than the one who leaves the fard. It cannot be decreed that a person becomes an unbeliever when he/she denies a wajib. He/she goes astray. For example, to leave a wajib of the salah intentionally is makruh tahrimi. In case of leaving a wajib or delaying it by mistake, a person must perform sajda as-sahw. If someone performs the salah by adding more rakahs intentionally (for example, the one who performs a four-rak'ah-salah as eight rak'ahs,) he/she become sinful even if he/she completes the salah by performing sajda as-sahw but his/her salah is valid.
Questions on Islam
- While in salah in congregation, if someone from the congregation behaves in such a way that requires sajda as-sahw, what must he/she do?
- Why do we read salli-barik prayers in the first sitting of the first sunnah of the afternoon and night salahs? In case of forgetting to read them, do we have to make sajda as-sahw?
- What must we do if we make salutations by accident at the first sitting in a four-rak'ah-salah?
- Sajdah as-Sahw
- What should a person who forgets the number of rak’ahs he has performed or who makes a mistake about rak’ahs do?
- How should a person who forgets what rak'ah he is performing in witr prayer or any other prayer complete his prayer?
- What are the situations that necessitate sajdah as-sahw? Is it necessary to perform sajdah as-sahw in sunnah prayers?
- What should a person who joins the imam in a congregational prayer after the first rak'ah and who gives salam (salutes) with the imam at the end of the prayer by mistake do?
- How is a prostration (sajdah) that is skipped in a prayer performed; does sajdah as-sahw become necessary?
- What should a person do if he sits down in the third rak’ah of a four rak’ah prayer by mistake?