I have seen miniature paintings of some prophets, is it permissible to make these paintings?
Submitted by on Wed, 11/03/2020 - 09:48
Dear Brother / Sister,
Prophets are distinguished servants of Allah. Drawing their pictures has not been considered a proper act because, no matter how they are drawn, there is a possibility of disrespect against those prophets, as it will not replace the original, and it may cause different meanings to occur in the minds of the viewers.
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is the last prophet sent by Allah and the perfect example for mankind in every way. The sources to be used for the recognition and introduction of the exemplary personality of Muhammad (pbuh) are the Quran and Sunnah. The Qur'an and the Sunnah show us his exemplary personality, the principles of the religion of Islam and the principles of life in the most beautiful way. There is no need to make his paintings and miniatures to get to know and understand him.
No matter what the purpose is, paintings and miniatures depicting Muhammad (pbuh) will make that perfect example in the minds of Muslims ordinary; on the other hand, they will identify him with these paintings and miniatures.
This kind of behavior, which was never seen in the period of the Companions of Muhammad (pbuh) and in the subsequent 1400-year Islamic historical tradition, can mean disrespect to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and will humiliate Muslims.
In addition, this will bring about the danger of the attribution of sanctity to these paintings and miniatures.
As a matter of fact, it is known that the paintings and symbols of many personalities who left their marks throughout history have been sanctified and attributed extraordinary roles.
However, the religion of Islam never permits the attribution of sanctity to persons and to the paintings and objects that depict and symbolize them and strictly prohibits such practices that may lead to ascribing partners to Allah.
Questions on Islam
- How should we understand the concept ethics and the hadith stating “I was sent to complete the high ethics”?
- The Husband
- Can you give detailed information about pictures and photographs?
- Is it permissible to make a movie in which an actor portrays Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?
- His Bravery is a proof of his (PBUH) prophethood.
- Ramadan, the Month of the Qur'an
- The Nineteenth Word: the Messengership of Muhammad (PBUH)
- Could you please give information about Gabriel? (The Archangel)
- How can we tell unbelievers about Allah’s existence?
- The Extraordinary States of His Descendants (Sayyids and Sharifs) called Aal-i Muhammad that Came After His Death and Their Service to Islam prove His Prophethood.