How is the soul purified?
Submitted by on Mon, 20/06/2011 - 12:24
Dear Brother / Sister,
The expression ‘the purification of the soul’ should be understood as the removal of the desires of the soul or, that is the purification of the soul.
In the following verse, “Truly he succeeds that purifies it.” (ash-Shams, 9), the purification of the soul that is encouraged is present. Our scholars explain it as the removal of the bad deeds from the soul, that is, the removal of shirk (polytheism) through belief and the removal of sins through taqwa, and increasing this purification through good deeds.
That is, a person keeps his record clean by doing good things and avoiding bad deeds. In this purification, it is possible to develop spiritually by doing good deeds, purifying the heart and the soul.
The most effective way of protecting the soul from bad deeds and keeping it away from sins is to fulfill the five pillars of Islam. Performing prayers keeps man away from sins. The soul is educated through fasting.
All kinds of words and deeds in the life of man whether in terms of worshipping or ethical virtues become effective in the purification of the soul.
Questions on Islam
- What is the sincere repentance (tawbah nasuh)?
- What is the source of the good feelings in man that enables him to reach the truth?
- Is it not a contradiction that Allah created the sins and human beings so that they would repent and that He blamed those who committed sins and threatened them with Hell?
- How will our deeds be weighed on Mizan?
- Could you give information on stinginess?
- If what we are going to do is determined in our fate, what is our fault? If Allah knows whether we are going to enter Heaven or Hell, why did He send us down to Earth?
- Could you please explain the notion of Tawhid (Oneness)?
- Will you explain this verse:" Nor do I absolve my own self (of blame): the (human soul) certainly prone to evil, unless my Lord do bestow His Mercy: but surely my Lord is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Yusuf, 12/53)?
- How can I get rid of jealousy?
- What is Delusion (waswasa)? Could You Inform Us of its Reasons?