How did the representatives of the tribe of Sons of Hilal visit the Prophet (pbuh) and how did they become Muslims?
Submitted by on Mon, 15/04/2019 - 11:43
Dear Brother / Sister,
Among the delegations that came to Madinah in order to pay allegiance to the Messenger of Allah was the delegation of Sons of Hilal. The delegation consisted of two people: Abdi Awf b. Asram and Qabisa b. Mukhariq.(Ibn Sa’d, ibid, Vol. 1, p. 309.)
When Abdi Awf came to the presence of the Prophet and became a Muslim, the Prophet asked him, “What is your name?”
He said, “Abdi Awf.”
The Prophet said, “You are Abdullah,” and changed his name.(Ibn Sa’d, ibid, Vol. 1, p. 309.)
Qabisa b. Mukhariq, one of the delegates of Sons of Hilal, said to the Prophet,
“O Messenger of Allah! I stood security for somebody from my tribe; now, I am in debt. Will you help me about it?”(Musnad, Vol. 3, p. 477.)
The Messenger of Allah said to Qabias, “All right! Wait a bit. When zakah goods come from somewhere, I will pay your debt.” Then, he said,
“O Qabisa! Know it very well that it is not appropriate to ask something from people except for the following three situations:
1) a person who becomes indebted in order to mediate between two people (or two tribes and clans),
2) a person who loses all of his property due to a disaster,
3) a person who is definitely poor by the witnessing of three sane people from his tribe.
"O Qabisa! It is haram to beg for the other people.” (Muslim, Sahih, Vol. 2, p. 722.)
Thus, this demand of Qabisa became a means for the determination of an important criterion in the social life.
In Islam, begging, asking something from somebody though one is not in need is regarded as a bad characteristic. There are several hadiths of the Messenger of Allah regarding the issue.
Questions on Islam
- After the conquest of Makkah, the Islamic state got stronger and its land expanded. How did this affect the tribes around it?
- How were the kings of Bahrayn, where fireworshippers and Jews lived, invited to Islam?
- How did Ka'b bin Zuhayr, the poet, become a Muslim?
- How did the tribe of Banu Sulaym become Muslims?
- What are the purposes of wars that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) fought?
- When was hajj rendered fard? What verses were sent down regarding the issue?
- 4. Makkah Period of Hazrath Muhammad
- Will you give information about Hz. Ali's migration to Madinah after the Prophet?
- When was the first decree of retaliation given?
- Will you give information about the following hadith? The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said, "People with black banners will come from the East among the children of Abbas."