Does it befit a Muslim to say let sleeping dogs lie?
Who invented this saying?
Why does a Muslim use this saying?
Submitted by on Wed, 27/02/2019 - 10:50
Dear Brother / Sister,
There is no definite information about who uttered the saying "Let sleeping dogs lie” first.
The person who utters this statesmen means the following:
“If I am fine and safe, it does not matter if the whole world is in trouble. If I am full, it does not matter if my neighbor starves. If a serial killer kills a lot of people and does not disturb me, I will not feel sad.” As far as we understand, this saying is used in the sense above.
As for the question, “Why does a Muslim use this saying?”, we know that this saying does not befit a Muslim, a believer. It does not comply with the consciousness of belief. It is unthinkable for a person who knows the statement of the Prophet “He who sleeps with full stomach when his neighbor is hungry is not one of us” and other similar verses and hadiths to utter that statement.
Some Muslims utter that statement due to some reasons like weakness of belief and ignorance.
To sum up, that statement is definitely contrary to the humane and Islamic virtues like solidarity, altruism and empathy.
Questions on Islam
- Will you give information about neighborhood and neighbors in Islam?
- What are our duties toward our neighbors?
- Are we held responsible for the hungry people in our apartment building or neighborhood?
- Can we live and worship in a house having dog?
- It is hard for me to understand the expression of “killing all the dogs” stated in hadiths. How is it possible that Our Prophet, who did not hurt even an ant, gave such a command?
- It is hard for me to understand the phrase “killing all dogs” mentioned in hadiths. How is it possible that Our Prophet, who did not hurt even an ant, gave such a command?
- What is the importance of meeting other people’s needs and being good to them?
- The Quran Induces men to Goodness and benevolence, and Bewares men of the Evil. Is it not possible, therefore, that a Religious person Wrote this Scripture and Then said This is revealed by Allah?
- What does the sentence "Love your neighbor as you love yourself" mean to you? Can you explain it from the Islamic point of view?
- The Death of Abu Lahab on disbelief (Kufr)