Does Allah help the unbeliever?
- There are some wars in history in which unbelievers defeated Muslims. It is definitely Allah who creates that defeat. Allah definitely knows the reason. However, can it be said that Allah helped unbelievers?
-It is Allah who enables us to walk, breathe, think, etc. Allah helps us about them. We cannot do them but for Allah’s help. Since unbelievers can also do them, will it be appropriate to infer that Allah helps unbelievers too?
Submitted by on Fri, 02/07/2021 - 09:55
Dear Brother / Sister,
The issue has a few aspects:
1. Allah’s creating people, equipping them with material and spiritual things, making the sun, sea and earth serve them are divine help for both believers and unbelievers. Nothing would exist but for that ontological help.
2. As for the issue in social life, Allah sometimes helps unbelievers too.
For example, the reason for the victory of the unbelievers in the Battle of Uhud is explained as follows in the Quran:
“If a wound hath touched you (in Uhud), be sure a similar wound hath touched the others (in Badr). Such days (of varying fortunes) We give to men and men by turns: that Allah may know those that believe, and that He may take to Himself from your ranks Martyr-witnesses (to Truth). And Allah loveth not those that do wrong. Allah’s object also is to purge those that are true in Faith and to deprive of blessing Those that resist Faith.” (Aal-i Imran, 3/140-141)
That victory of the unbelievers is a law of Allah. They achieved victory not because Allah loved them, but because they fought patiently and determinedly. Those who work hard with patience and determination always achieve success. It is a divine law.
It is understood from the sentence "And Allah loveth not those that do wrong" in the verse that Allah does not love any unbelievers. It is unthinkable for Allah to help the oppressors whom He does not like. In addition, there are other reasons for the defeat of the Muslims in Uhud. Almighty Allah circulates those victories and defeats among people and makes both sides experience bad and good days in order to reveal sincere believers, to make some of them attain the rank of martyrdom, to purify them from their sins and faults, and to destroy unbelievers.
If the believers were winners and the unbelievers were losers in all wars, life's being a test would be of no value, and the possibility of believing with free will would vanish; the unbelievers would be forced to believe.
As it can be understood from those explanations, we do not say, "Allah helped the unbelievers" because it is not appropriate to evaluate a win that will have a bad ending as a victory and help.
3. Those who obey the laws that Allah imposed in the universe will be successful. There is no difference between a believer and an unbeliever, a religious person or an irreligious one, and a virtuous or an immoral one.
In fact, the good attributes and values such as “working, not despairing of Allah, taking precautions/measures, learning science and technology, preparing as much force as possible against the enemies, obeying the commander, acting in accordance with causes, praying actually and verbally for every job, and obeying sunnatullah (the laws of Allah)”, which are commands of Islam, are reasons for superiority and victory over the enemies.
If their value is not appreciated, if Islamic values, decrees, fards and prohibitions are not observed, if faith and Islam are not protected, those values will be transferred to unbelievers. With those facts, good deeds and values, they will advance and progress, avoid defeat, and might overcome Muslims.
In that case, superiority is not due to their denial, but their obedience to the manifestations of Allah's names and attributes without realizing it.
Questions on Islam
- Where are we in Islam?
- What are the reasons for the defeat of the Muslims in the Battle of Uhud?
- How many years later did the Byzantines defeat the Iranians, which is mentioned in the chapter of ar-Rum?
- Could you please give information on the Battle of Badr,Uhud and Khandaq?
- What things constitute Kufr? like what statements and actions, examples?
- According to the verse the cunning of satan is feeble, can every trick of satan be understood?
- 5. Surah Al-Maeda (72- 99)
- It is written in the chapter of ar-Rum that the Romans would be victorious in three to nine years. However, the Romans could not defeat the Iranians until 627.
- What are the reasons and wisdoms of Muslim defeat in the battle of Uhud?
- What is the miraculous aspect of the Quran in terms of linguistics?