What are the reasons for the defeat of the Muslims in the Battle of Uhud?
Submitted by on Thu, 04/07/2019 - 16:22
Dear Brother / Sister,
The reasons for the defeat of Muslims in the battle of Uhud is the archers’ leaving their place as it is clearly indicated in verses 152 and 165 of the chapter of Aal-i Imran. Disobedience to the order of the Prophet (pbuh) changed the course of the war all of a sudden.
However, when we view this defeat in terms of wisdom, we come across with the following verse:
“If a wound hath touched you be sure a similar wound hath touched the others. Such days (of varying fortunes) We give to men and men by turns: that Allah may know those that believe and that He may take to Himself from your ranks martyr-witnesses (to Truth). And Allah loveth not those that do wrong.” (Aal-i Imran, 3/140)
As it is stated in the verse above, Allah caused the Muslims to be defeated in order to check the sincerity of the Muslims, to make the distinguished Companions like Hz. Hamza and Mus’ab Bin Umayr attain the rank of martyrdom, and due to numerous reasons that we cannot know.
Besides, the Companions of the past were defeated by the Companions of the future in that battle. Among the idolaters were many persons like Khalid who in the future would be equal to the leading Companions of that time. Therefore, so as not to degrade them entirely in the view of the future, which for them would be glorious and honorable, divine wisdom gave them in the past immediate recompense for their future good works and did not completely destroy their pride. (see Nursi, Lem`alar, p. 29)
Abu Sufyan, who was the leader of the polytheists in the Battle of Uhud, Khalid b. Walid, who was the greatest reason for the defeat of the Muslims, and several other people started to embrace Islam after the Treaty of Hudaybiyya.
Questions on Islam
- What are the reasons and wisdoms of Muslim defeat in the battle of Uhud?
- The Battle of Uhud
- Where are we in Islam?
- Is it possible for those who committed sins like rebellion and denial, which are contrary to the majesty of God Almighty, to be forgiven after repentance?
- Were wars made in order to spread the religion and to inform the people about the words of Allah?
- What are the purposes of wars that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) fought?
- Could you please give information on the Battle of Badr,Uhud and Khandaq?
- What are the verses and hadiths that praise the companions?
- Amr bin Thabit Uhayrim (r.a.)
- Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas (r.a.)